Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, when my father retired 20 odd years ago he was bought a load of woodworking tools for his forthcoming hobby. However alas 2 years later he passed away with cancer and never got to use any with anger. In the collection is a Bosch router which thanks to this site and the manual online I've discovered whats what.

I have three questions if i may:

1) I can't stop the router from sliding up and down - it would seems that there is no brass plug under the fastening knob. Can you buy these ? Or any other suggestions

2) It would love to mount the router on a table. Again any suggestions / makes that will accommodate a POF 52, or directions how to make one

3) Can you still buy new router bits. Believe its a 6mm, 1/4"?

Ohh and i guess is the router any good for a novice OR should i go and buy a ½" new one

Many thanks, Andrew

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Welcome to the forum Drew. It would help greatly to know your location, ie country. Be careful with the collet as you need to knw it's exact size as bits only the diameter of that collet will work safely. There are both imperial and metric collets that will work fine with their appropriate bits. If possible try to see if there is a number on the collet and check that via Bosch site or a parts replacement outfit to be sure. You may also be able to buy new collets for that router in additional sizes. I'm not familiar with that model at all so no real help there.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi Drew,
1. There was a previous thread on this forum about that router, circa 2013. Somebody posted a manual, or pages thereof. You may have to dig a bit to find it under Bosch manuals in the manuals section.
I found a Dutch version online (at libble.eu), clearer than the .pdf in the manuals section, but neither has an exploded parts diagram, so I cannot tell whether there is/should be a brass slug in the plunge lock mechanism. BTW, I am assuming you know that the plunge is locked by twisting one of the two handles on the plunge frame? The one nearest the millimetre scale. If you unscrew it completely and there is no brass follower, you can improvise one from about 8mm of a brass rod of suitable diametre (round over the ends).

2. The Dutch manual shows a simple sheet-steel table-top table that was available at the time. I think something similar is still available from third-party vendors - try Wolfcraft. However, temper your expectations - the router is 500Watts, so will only manage light cuts at a time, with modest-diameter bits.

3. According to the manual, the router was supplied with a 6mm collet (although there may have been a 1/4" collet for UK versions - the manual is for Holland). If yours is 6mm, you can only use bits with a 6mm shaft - 1/4" bits will not fit. Conversely, do not try to use 6mm bits in a 1/4" collet - you will not be able to lock them in - very dangerous. Simplest test is to see whether a 1/4" bit will fit - if not, you have a 6mm collet. I believe 6mm bits are available in the UK, from Bosch as well as OEM.

4. The machine will be quite adequate for routing profiles on edges, and for grooves and dados on surfaces, keeping expectations realistic. Once you have used it for a while, if you are hooked, you can invest in a half-inch machine. But keep the Bosch for edge-trimming purposes - a larger machine is often clumsy for delicate work, and you would eventually land up buying an edge-trimming router anyway.

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Andrew .
Here is a copy of the manual I have

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback, most useful.

Well i made up a small brass follower - 8mm long - from a cable stop end. Works a treat. Also gave the router a good clean / grease of the moving parts.

Re the collet size, took out the bit that was in router. Its a Bosch and on it is stamped 1 608 850 964, diameter 6,35 so that 1/4". Must see if i can get some new bits (all metric i expect in the UK).

Will see how i get on with it. Initially ust want to put a 10mm grove in the centre of some shelves for LED light, not very deep so hopefully it will do a good job.

Still fancy making a table for it.

Thanks agin

·
Registered
Paul
2,139 Posts
Looking at the manual cover, it looks like it has an edge guide... that would be useful for cutting a groove in the shelves. I would practice on a scrap first.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum. Drew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.