Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to poll senior members about router lifts as a matter of interest.

i see mostly from new members discussions about router lifts.

how many of our older more experienced members use router lifts??

no disrespect meant, just curious.

·
Retired Moderator
5,700 Posts
Hi levon,

Don't know if I'm an "older" or even "more experienced" member :haha: but I had a lift on my M12V that I sold to BJ a while back and really enjoyed it. I do not have a lift on my DW618, but really find that I do not need one using the fixed base in the table. Now how is that for a fickled answer? :fie:

Seriously, I think the lifts are great on the larger more heavy routers, and only an expensive luxury on the smaller less heavy ones. With so many routers coming with the lift built in now, I think it is a nice convenience no matter what the size. You can really zero in on the accruacy with one much easier than without.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :yes4:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi levon,

Don't know if I'm an "older" or even "more experienced" member :haha: but I had a lift on my M12V that I sold to BJ a while back and really enjoyed it. I do not have a lift on my DW618, but really find that I do not need one using the fixed base in the table. Now how is that for a fickled answer? :fie:

Seriously, I think the lifts are great on the larger more heavy routers, and only an expensive luxury on the smaller less heavy ones. With so many routers coming with the lift built in now, I think it is a nice convenience no matter what the size. You can really zero in on the accruacy with one much easier than without.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :yes4:
hi Bob,

i consider you an expert! thanks for speaking up. i have been curious about this for awhile. btw, you got anything else for sale?? you gotta give me a small chance next time!:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Hi levon,

I can't say that I'm for OR against lifts. I'm so used to the OP setup that I don't see the need for one. Pop out, drop in and go. Of course, I've never used a lift either. :p:sarcastic:

They do have their uses though. :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input Ken.

im a fisherman and buying lures reminds me of some router accessories. lots of lures are made to catch the fisherman, not the fish:)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm neither old, or an expert, but my routers are easy enough to adjust the way they are. I have nothing against lifts (they may be a nice luxury for some), but I'd rather use that much money for other tools.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi Rusty,

you always seem to give an honest opinion, i like that!

·
Registered
23,784 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi levon

Like Bob said I got one from him, and you know me I did rework it into a power lift,works great now :)one button and it go's up or down..

=====

hi BobJ,

if you had said you used it like it was and didnt rework it i would have thought you were an imposter, lol.

Now i know its you talking!:jester:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I do not know in to what classification I fall, but I have been a member of the forum since 2006.

I use a manual lift.

I think the power lifts are over expensive overkill, but the manual lift allows me to use the limited time I have more efficiently.
I have no permanent workshop so when the sun is low enough, I move everything I need onto the front door landing, set up, do the woodworking, then when the mosquitos get too numerous I take everything apart, move it back inside. Also my shoulders are wearing out due to overuse.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
I have a lift built in with my router and I have used it to make adjustments and change bits, but I sure wouldn't spend the money on one just to have it!!

BTW Lavon I live closer to Bob and drop in just to see what he is selling so you don't have a chance before me!!!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,066 Posts
I suppose this pedal operated one I made a while back based on a design by former member Niki from Poland fits your description of a router lifter Levon. I use it mainly for fast, accurate dowelling but it's excellent for hoisting my Triton for fast above the table cutter changes.
If you were to ask ME if one is necessary my answer would be NO, but some woodworkers find that for THEIR particular type of woodworking, a lifter is a must. Levon, you'll know when YOU need one, you'll one day start to make things and think to yourself, "gee, if I only had a lifter, this job would be so much easier!" Until that day, your money can be better spent.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
i never used one b4 me recently buying one and did all my adjustments underneath and will say the lift is a nice time saver for me i can make a pretty accurate heigth adjustment in a few seconds or a bit change in just a little longer then that. and now that ive used one really dont wont to go back!

·
Banned
12,004 Posts
I do not use a lift, and can see no reason I would ever use one. My money does more good buying bits!

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Guys

Just my 2 cents :)

It's like putting a trailer hitch on your truck,it's one of the items you will not use all the time but it's sure is nice when you have one..to get the job done..you don't need to buy one that cost as much as the truck just a device to get the job done.. :)

=======

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I went without a lift for 11 yrs. Since having the lift my set up and take downs are half the time. I used brass bars to set many height adjustments, however most adjustments for anything other than straight bits don't allow for that simplicity. Now with the lift and a notepad for info bit adjustments (especially) for duplications are fast and accurate to .100".

I've gone a smidge further, my impetus deriving from the motorized lift Mr. Nixon and Bobj3 use. I'm using my cordless drill driver to fast raise and lower the bit from above the table for switch outs only making it even faster. I already had a 1/4: drive head for the drill and bought a couple sockets from Sears.

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Ron

I did the same as you for a bit but the stock was always blocking the hole for the lift device,so it put in under the top,that took care of that error ..:)

====

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.