Router Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hi Ron

I did the same as you for a bit but the stock was always blocking the hole for the lift device,
This is the you lost me part Bobj3 not the power lift. We discussed the Nixon version a few months ago and you sent me the plans for it.

Again, why was the routing stock in the way of the table top crank?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
hi Ronald

what if your using a circle cutting jig to cut a circle on the router table and need to raise the height several times and dont want to take the circle and jig off the table? i hope you understand what im trying to say?

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Levon, plunge routing with a circle cutting jig like I and many others use is far safer, you can SEE what is happening, and in the unlikely event of something going wrong, simply release pressure from the router and up shoots the cutter into the safety of the housing.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i use the plunge way too, but have seen some do circles on the table. what i was trying to show is that if you have some type jig mounted to the table and moving it will make it difficult to reposition exactly, then you have a problem with the hole for above table adjustments.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi levon

Right on :)

Many have not used a circle jig on the router table,it's a safe way to get the job and a fast way on top of that.. :) it's hard to break the old ways of doing things,right Harry LOL LOL..

I know you have a power lift Harry ,give it a try on your router table you will be amazed how nice it is..you don't need to control the 15lb.tank router you have..

http://www.routerforums.com/100137-post33.html
======

i use the plunge way too, but have seen some do circles on the table. what i was trying to show is that if you have some type jig mounted to the table and moving it will make it difficult to reposition exactly, then you have a problem with the hole for above table adjustments.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
i see you see what im saying BobJ. and there are probably numerous ways to make projects where you need to do projects and need to make multiple passes and the above table adjustment is covered by the stock or jig.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My circle cutting jig doesn't get in the way of the crank hole. I can cut a 36" circle before the stock gets in the way. Although I never cut one over 2 feet.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Thanks Ron

That's a neat trick,can you pls.take a snapshot of 24" board and cut a circle ,say a 18" one, that's in diam. but not in one pass with a drop and slot/cut, I may need to rework the one I have..

Thanks

=====

My circle cutting jig doesn't get in the way of the crank hole. I can cut a 36" circle before the stock gets in the way. Although I never cut one over 2 feet.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Bj, I have never doubted that circles can be cut using the method you have shown, but please do me a favour and rout a 4" hole in a 1" piece of MDF using both methods and tell me honestly (I know you you are always honest) which was the easiest, safest of the two. In the past it's been difficult to get you to try "new" methods, but when you finally have done, you have been pleasantly surprised on more than one occasion. The only plus factor that I can see in your method is that the groove will remain clear of debris.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.