Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going. No we are not. I hate weddings. People I haven’t seen for years, mostly grateful for that. I can’t Remember anyone’s names, it’s a nightmare.

Nightmare or not we’re going. God, purgatory, what have I done to deserve this.

Do we even know them I asked. It’s your grandson came the reply. Oh, which one. The one that isn’t married.

That certainly narrowed it down.

I don’t have a suit. That’s right you don’t, you have two. Ironed and hanging in the wardrobe ready to see if that Adonis body of yours can still squeeze into them without loosing their shape or maiming someone with a flying button.

What a cheek. If I didn’t need you to go shopping or do the cooking, or vacuum and polish the house, or tidy the garden, or wash the windows, be my beer assistant, wash the car, or make your famous sausage rolls, you would be out of here.

Is it my turn she asked. No I said, I would be here all day listening to your list.

Any other excuses before we get packed. Yes, my Angina I answered. Your what she exclaimed. When did this start. Just after we got married was on my lips, but fell back into my mouth. I had a twinge I offered. Where she asked. Now I know roughly where the aspirin is kept in the house, but that’s about as far as my medical knowledge transcends. I could not for the life of me think where an angina twinge starts off. All over I offered hopefully. You had a twinge all over, what, head, torso, legs, she demanded. Yes most of what you just mentioned

So lads after some major adjustments to my attire we were ready for the off.

Now we live a fair bit north of Edinburgh and the wedding was a couple of hours outside London. So a six hundred mile journey ensued which my good wife took the opportunity to run through my anti social traits. Have you any idea how many traits you can squeeze into 600 miles.

But it wasn’t just all wedding. We were staying with my daughter in Bournemouth and my son in law had intimated over the years he would love a media man cave as he was an avid fan of Rugby,and wanted a large screen tv. He had hinted for a couple of years that he wanted me to build one for him, but my reluctance was borne out of the distance between us and the logistics of transporting my tools over such a distance.

In desperation he offered to purchase such machines I would require. He eventually wore me down and I settled on a Dewalt Flip Over Saw. It is a very popular tool here in the UK but not so much in the US. Basically it is a site table saw that flips over to a compound mitre saw. We purchased it second hand from E Bay and he later sold it on for a small profit.

The job consisted of chopping down the garage to create a media room and retain the front part of the garage for storage. As you can see it was a multi trade project. Luckily being a retired lecturer in Construction I had to teach most of the typical disciplines needed, so a little bit of joinery, plumbing, electrical, painting and plastering ensued, with a great deal of help from my apprentice who know has one black shoe and one magnolia one.

As you can see from the photos I just built a partition to separate the room, I then decided to partition the wall where the tv was to be installed as there was so much wiring to be installed and that was solid thermolite block, and would have been a nightmare to chase out. All walls were 12mm foil backed plaster board, (dry wall ) then joisted the floor to bring it up to the main house floor level with 22mm chipboard base.
I insulated the floor and wall as I didn’t know if the floor had been insulated under the slab. I then installed a radiator as being a garage there was no heating present.

The electrical was quite complex as he wanted high end control. I decided to instal a slave consumer unit just for the room.

There was a support RSJ across the room, so decided to drop one half of the room which allowed recess lighting. Then ran cornice around the room.

Finishing consisted of a solid wood floor, skirtings and final painting.

On the garage side I installed 18mm ply and shelved out the area

My family seemed happy with the results and despite all my anti social defects we have been asked back

Colin
Scotland

Attachments

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Very nice ,clean, well thought out job. very professionally done. The stud spacing looks different than what we use here, I assume it is all metric,for Metric sized sheets of gyp board. The framing lumber is treated material? It sure looks like it. How were the acoustics in the room after it was done?
You did yourself proud,Coleve.
Herb

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
Wow, nice job. First time I've seen a media room painted a light color. The TV will be flashing all kinds of colors, something that disturbs peripheral vision and triggers the fight or flight response. Minor point, hard to get the little lady to accept a dark coloured paint scheme. Dark side walls would help with that. As I get older that side light flashing from the TV on the side walls really annoy me.

As always, I enjoyed your telling of the tale Colin. It's as well constructed as the media room.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
Before the 70’s we were imperial and our stud centres were 18 inches originally before dry wall. It was lathe strips we used nailed directly on to the stud with spaces between for the first coat of plaster to ease through. When board became available we chanced to 24 inches then 600mm. Our sheets were 8 x2 Feet then 1.2m x 2.4m.

Nearly all our timber is treated now for infestation and rot. The majority of our timber is 2.4m (8ft) as most of the UK ceilings are 2.4m high, makes life easy for installation

Colin

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Thanks for the comment. The magnolia foot is my apprentice (better half). As for the flip over. My son in law would be struggling to hammer a nail into a Christmas dumpling. He is not diy inclined, it would never be used and would lie in storage. After use I stripped it down and rebuild it, realigning the blade and settings, ready for sale. It was gone in a day. He offered it to me, but my homer days are gone and I have a very good table saw in my workshop, so again it would just be stored.

Colin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.