Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20,662 Posts
Some years ago,facing a similar reality, I indulged myself and bought two Rockler LED lights with large reflectors. Something like 2600 lumens each. Hung one over the table saw, the other over the workbench. I have other lights scattered around the shop, shining into the dark corners. One light brightens up the sliding miter area. The total illumination in the room has to be nearing 7,000 lumens--Bright.
Hand Arm Drinkware Fluid Gesture

Liked is so much that when I had our garage drywalled and insulated, I have them install five screw in light fixtures. I found some really bright LED bulbs so it is almost daylight bright in there.

The band saws are a slightly different thing. One is a Fourteen 12 Laguna. Wonderful saw, hard to see, so I salvages a small gooseneck fixture and mounted it in a box with a small on/off switch. Did something similar with my small bandsaw, which lives in a dark area of my shop, but gets a lot of use. I prefer to have separate on/off switches on lights because I want to see while setting things up.
Fixture Gas Electrical wiring Cable Machine

The small reflector bulbs are nice because they run cool, so if you happen to bump your head into the lamp, (ask how I know) you won't be burned.

BTW, what you experienced is presbyopia, which happens to everyone as the crystalline lens in the eye loses flexibility to change focus quickly and easily. The eye is a double element optical system. Most of the focusing is done by the clear cornea, the lens inside the eye makes only minor changes in thickness for its part in projecting an image on the retina. It' a function of age.

·
Registered
20,662 Posts
I like Tom's gooseneck addition to his bandsaw. I'm going to keep my eye out for something I can add to mine. I also tinker with electronics and the daylight bulbs are a must for that as well.
I found a desktop fixture for $2 at a thrift store, another, smaller one at HD. The gooseneck is attached to the base with a threaded barb. You can drill a hole and push the threaded part through and screw it in place with the electrical bolt you removed from the base. I installed one in a small electrical box with a switch. The smaller saw has it installed on a small bracket attached to existing holes in the upper wheel case. Easy to do, cheap too. The bulb you can get almost anywhere. The reflector concentrates ALL the light in one area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts