Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fully understand that maintaining a web site carries a financial burden and that pop up ads can help defray the costs. But ads that are proliferating everywhere on the Internet are getting to be a real PITA...especially since I may have picked up a ransomware virus from a pop up on RouterForums that I (stupidly) opened yesterday.

It was my own fault...I've been a PC user for 35 years and should know better than to open those things. That doesn't make it any less annoying but the bug was relatively easy to "kill."

Just a reminder: Be very careful opening pop up ads and other URLs (links) that you find...even on your favorite sites. Malware is a continuing problem.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
no blockers???

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
I would encourage the inclusion of ads with discount codes. Might get more click throughs, which I believe increases revenue. Even better, with codes that appear in the ad so you don't have to click through. Any ad the opens when you roll over it should be banned from this site.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no blockers???
Yes, I have a pop up blocker but this, I think, was a script that got loaded along with something else I stupidly opened. It came up later and manifest itself as a red screen that I could neither close nor navigate away from...kinda like I had been kidnapped. It purported to be a warning from "technical support" that I had contracted a virus and instructed me to call a telephone number to "get instructions" on how to rid my computer of the infection.

I saw it several months ago so I was aware it was a scam. They want an exorbitant amount of money for their "cure"...that's why it's called ransomware.

·
Registered
692 Posts
It's one thing to have ads. It's another to cram memory eating video into them.

There are a few sites I really enjoyed, but just dumped them off my list of places to visit because they loaded the page with videos.

Many of us are rabbit trail types. For example, my van quit pushing air through the front vents, so I went searching for answers. In the course of doing this, I'd have ten or more pages open. If they all load video, the browser went from three hundred K to over a meg. Add that to things that, absolutely, require memory to keep your computer out of anchor mode and, well, you have an anchor.

This says not good things about the intelligence of those who assemble ads. Hell, it even puts them in the category of the Gates crowd, who are so stupid [in areas] they think they know more about how we use our computers and what we need they make it impossible, or nearly so, to set them up for our style of computing.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I would encourage the inclusion of ads with discount codes. Might get more click throughs, which I believe increases revenue. Even better, with codes that appear in the ad so you don't have to click through. Any ad the opens when you roll over it should be banned from this site.
That is exactly what I recommended to Cricket and Admin Tom when they let the Mods know that ads were coming. I would have welcomed ads from companies like Grizzly, Sommerfeld, Incra, Kreg, Leigh, Highland Woodworking, and Lee Valley just to name a few out of many possibilities. I would have also welcomed some participation from these companies on our forum. It would have been a great exchange of information I think, beneficial to both sides.

However, that would require more staff to do and let's face it, they're all nerds, not woodworkers. One of the things that has made Lee Valley so successful is that they are woodworkers selling wood working tools to other woodworkers so they understand what we need and want, sometimes better than we do. We can't expect that from the forums staff so we get generic stuff based on our cookies it appears.

I am concerned that Chuck had a security issue with one of the ads though. I'm not sure what can be done about that since I think it was a third party sort of connection. My biggest nemesis so far computer wise has been facebook. I've had issues several times with clicking on side stories. One FB user aptly called those "clickbait".

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Heh! I recently decommissioned my 11-year-old Pentium 4 XP computer in favor of a new, fast 4th generation i7 with Win10. I thought it was the cat's meow...and it is for most things. But when I get on a site with lots of "child" links, most of which host videos, it is just like Kelly said. My whizz-bang computer crawls to a stop.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
When I open the Foreum without logging in I get the adds. After I log in, they all go away.
That's the way Admin set the ads up which we can be grateful for since most of us find them incredibly annoying. For a while we were being encouraged to visit the forums on Facebook too so I did once or twice and there are more ads over there and they don't go away.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Control is the goal

There are a few sites I really enjoyed, but just dumped them off my list of places to visit because they loaded the page with videos.

Many of us are rabbit trail types. For example, my van quit pushing air through the front vents, so I went searching for answers. In the course of doing this, I'd have ten or more pages open. If they all load video, the browser went from three hundred K to over a meg. Add that to things that, absolutely, require memory to keep your computer out of anchor mode and, well, you have an anchor.

This says not good things about the intelligence of those who assemble ads. Hell, it even puts them in the category of the Gates crowd, who are so stupid [in areas] they think they know more about how we use our computers and what we need they make it impossible, or nearly so, to set them up for our style of computing.
Dude the movie "Matrix" they want control of your mind. Good luck on us old birds ain't happening. But the surrealistic perspective todays 20 something exhibit shows their mind control via content is working, Caution/ Disclaimer this is a beer fueled rant

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

forest for the trees...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
... they think they know more about how we use our computers and what we need they make it impossible, or nearly so, to set them up for our style of computing.
OUR convenience is not their objective. Microsoft used to sell the operating systems and give away the utilities. Now EVERYTHING is a product with a price tag...and most of the display "enhancements" on our screens are promoting one or more of their products.

Notice that Microsoft stuff isn't available for sale anymore but is gen-ed into the system at build time and/or is available to license from Microsoft...for a price, of course.

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
"AdBlock Plus"...can't remember the last time I saw an ad on the forum...

Also, thanks for the tip on the FB, Charles...

Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Good advice from everyone, especially CCleaner. I've nagged everyone I know into using it (even my paranoid brother-in-law who thinks the government has someone assigned to spend all day monitoring everything he does).

The mention of ransomware is timely. I'm considering installing an anti-ransomware utility called Secure A Plus. It comes highly recommended by Brian at Britec.com. It's free for the first year and I think $2 a month after that. Well worth not getting cryptolocker or one of those nasties. Has anyone used this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would suggest that you try "Adblocker" it lets you choose what to allow and what to block. It has worked really well for me and the best part is it cost nothing, that is right zero zip nada, you are allowed to donate if you are so inclined

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I would suggest that you try "Adblocker" it lets you choose what to allow and what to block. It has worked really well for me and the best part is it cost nothing, that is right zero zip nada, you are allowed to donate if you are so inclined
Yep, Adblocker works well. But I'm reading that the ransomware viruses get in by a lot of different ways. And sometimes even Malwarebytes, etc. don't detect them. So I'm thinking about adding this extra layer. The documentation says that SecureAplus can run alongside your existing anti-virus, anti-malware with no interference and low resource usage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts