Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY caught up with the holiday requests and with trying to make some extra cash since I got laid off. Cutting boards seem to be a popular item for the holidays. So I made up another couple dozen or so, along with another 3 dozen 3 1/2" and 4" coasters. Sold the coasters in sets of 4 and 6. The random design boards were popular, only because I think they were the least expensive. Followed by intricate pattern boards and of course my favorite are the 3D boards which coast considerably more due to time and effort.
The coasters sold for 12 to 20 bucks a set and the boards went for 60 to 250 ea.. The real surprise and the purpose of this thread was the cutting board design pictured below. I couldn't make these fast enough. I got the cutting board template from Bell Forest products on because it was cheap enough and saved me the bother of making one. They do offer a kit that comes with a paper template which in hindsight I wish I had gotten. The MDF template they off is made of 1/4" MDF. Worked well enough, but I preferre to work with 1/2-3/4" templates.
Anyhooooooo 3 pieces of relatively short pieces of wood (3" x 24" x 3/4"), a simple glue up and you're half way there. Set up the template and cut out the board. I think what made these so popular was the inserts. I used several designs with different type of contrasting woods. By far the quilted big leaf maple insert was the most popular. Then again, different designs for the center.
The finish schedule was quite simple as well, Sanded down to 320 then 3 coats of food grade mineral oil and a final coat with a food grade mineral oil/bees wax mix.
I think I did 8 of these in total. Everyone was sold and each was said to be heading for the kitchen wall more of a decoration then a utensil. The nice thing is that you can keep the design side facing out on the wall and 'use' the back side for what it was made for.
You guys who do alot of work for sale, it might well be worth a look. just sayin'....

I threw in a couple of other pics of boards, just as a filler. I really didn't have alot of time to take alot of pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
That is great work,Bill. Sorry to hear about the layoff, but it did give you some shop time. All those designs are really nice and you did a good job on them too, I can see why they sold well.
I have noticed that recently the trend is for cutting boards with a long handle on them.
Just saying.
Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Bill, you are above my pay grade...

Reactions: TwoSkies57

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
That is great work,Bill. Sorry to hear about the layoff, but it did give you some shop time. All those designs are really nice and you did a good job on them too, I can see why they sold well.
I have noticed that recently the trend is for cutting boards with a long handle on them.
Just saying.
Herb
I thought the ones with a handle were for getting a pizza out of the oven.

They are all well made and look nice.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Very well done, the lattice board really pops. Appreciate the note to Bell Forest products as well, a new one for me.

On reviewing the lumberjacks forum for 3d cutting boards I came across a website for designing the same:

Designer-board.firebaseapp.com

I have yet to work throughout but on the first pass it appears to have merit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.