Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 9 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to woodworking, and new to this forum. I've recently acquired several new tools, including a combo base router, table saw, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I am looking at getting a planer. My father-in-law has the Ridgid TP1300, and I was fooling around with it last night. I really liked it's features, including the position of the raise/lower wheel, lock, the position of the thickness scale on the front of the machine, and the style of the depth of cut indicator. I also checked out the Dewalts, Delta and Hitachi at Lowes, and the Craftsman at Sears, but didn't like the placement of the features, nor the quality of the scales. I planed down a small piece of wood to .5" X .5", then measured, and it was right on.

Anyone have any input on this planer? I haven't been able to find much written about it, I'm assuming because Home Depot is the only one that has it.

Thanks!!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really did like using it (even though I have never used one), it seemed to work well. I had heard that the blades dull quickly, but then I have also heard that about the Dewalts, too. Of course these observations were made by people that had just gotten the machines. I would imagine they were hogging too much off for a finish cut. I did notice that when I took off an 1/8" at a time, it would leave little "scratches" in the board, but then if I took 1/16" or 1/32", it would leave it smooth. Sometimes those reviews are left by newbies (like me), so it's like the blind leading the blind. I have been lurking here for a week or two, and appreciate the help and experience given here.

Also, thanks for the tip angus. I did notice the big pile of shavings against the wall after I had got done playing with it, and thought to myself; "Self, I'm going to emptying that shop vac a lot!"

Also angus, have you used other brands besides your ridgid? I was wondering how they stacked up. I read a review on Popularmechanic's site, and it seemed to do well. I don't really trust something written by someone who is getting paid for their reviews :)

1 - 2 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.