Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First post on the forum, I'm a retired journeyman carpenter/cabinetmaker so have quite a bit of experience. This has to do with my P-C 4216 dovetail jig; last time I used it, which was the first time, when I fit the sides of the drawer boxes to the front and back the edges were offset. In other words, instead of the top edges being flush all around one would be higher than the other. Now this was a few months ago but I do have a run of drawers to make in the near future and was hoping to get ideas on this before I start making them.
Any ideas? Many thanks and God Bless!
T

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hello,
First post on the forum, I'm a retired journeyman carpenter/cabinetmaker so have quite a bit of experience. This has to do with my P-C 4216 dovetail jig; last time I used it, which was the first time, when I fit the sides of the drawer boxes to the front and back the edges were offset. In other words, instead of the top edges being flush all around one would be higher than the other. Now this was a few months ago but I do have a run of drawers to make in the near future and was hoping to get ideas on this before I start making them.
Any ideas? Many thanks and God Bless!
T
I guess that they are half blind Dove Tails? and also you want them to be flush not higher? The confusing instruction book covers the flush of half blind and their are many good you tube videos on the subject. Good luck

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Hi @cadman2020 (T) welcome to the forum.

I have attached to manuals for this jig.

Hope that helps..

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that they are half blind Dove Tails? and also you want them to be flush not higher? The confusing instruction book covers the flush of half blind and their are many good you tube videos on the subject. Good luck
Hi and thanks for responding, actually they were through dovetails. It seems to happen when flipping the piece end for end to cut the dovetails on the other end. I'll try the YouTube articles to see if I can shed some light on the issue.
Many thanks for your replies and God Bless.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hi and thanks for responding, actually they were through dovetails. It seems to happen when flipping the piece end for end to cut the dovetails on the other end. I'll try the YouTube articles to see if I can shed some light on the issue.
Many thanks for your replies and God Bless.

I made a copy of my sloppy notes on Through Dovetails. It may help you or confuse you more at least that's what my notes do for me. It 's always a re-learning experience when using the PC jig as I don't use it often enough to remember. Good luck the PDF contains 2 pages

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made a copy of my sloppy notes on Through Dovetails. It may help you or confuse you more at least that's what my notes do for me. It 's always a re-learning experience when using the PC jig as I don't use it often enough to remember. Good luck the PDF contains 2 pages
Thank you so much for taking the time to send me your notes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
With Respect to Marco's notes, his "splayed" drawing of the drawer is a traditional, but often overlooked TOOL for keeping your workpiece properly oriented, whether the dovetails are hand-cut or machine cut. If Marco's notes need amplification, MANY good router and dovetail books use this model and approach. Read, read again, and then make a TRIAL (read disposable) full-size mock-up. WRITE ALL OVER IT with all of Marco's and other recommended notes and labeling. Once completed, keep this handy reference safe and you can always return to it when memory lapses. IF you make mistakes while building the reference, make sure to annotate them too, so you can avoid them in the future.
Work Safely! Steve Jaynes, Hillsboro, Oregon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an old Omnijig to cut thru tails. It has adjustable fingers, and before I start to cut a set, I try to layout the half pins so that they are equal width top and bottom, as long as the groove for the drawer bottom gets hidden on the sides by the bottom tails. That way, the stops are adjusted equally on either end of the jig so that when the comb is turned around to go from tails to pins, the half pin locations remain the same on both ends of the comb, and consequently all four sets of pins are identical and located equidistant from the edges. I hope this helps interpret the instructions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts