Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a Porter Cable router appropriate for use with a rail and stile router bit (Freud)? To little horse power? Too fast rotation?

Thanks

KR

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Here is a guide to use for different diameters. A variable speed router mounted in a table is usually recommended. The 690 has 1-3/4hp. More power for these bits will always help.

Router Bit Diameter Maximum Speed
Up to 1" 22,000 - 24,000 rpm
1" to 2" 18,000 - 22,000 rpm
2" to 2-1/2" 12,000 - 16,000 rpm
2-1/2" to 3-1/2" 8,000 - 12,000 rpm

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi KR

I use my 690 all the time with them but I do suggest a speed control box, you don't need the router running at 20,000 rpms.
10,000 rpm's is just right ..no need to cook the bits..
You are only taking off 7/16" of stock the norm and the 690 has the power easy to do that..

Router Speed Control
=====

Is a Porter Cable router appropriate for use with a rail and stile router bit (Freud)? To little horse power? Too fast rotation?

Thanks

KR

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
In my view, the 690 does not have the Flywheel for cope/stick bits; it's on the threshold.
If you have a bigger machine use it. You will get less resonance and chatter.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Speed Control - HF

Hi KR

I use my 690 all the time with them but I do suggest a speed control box, you don't need the router running at 20,000 rpms.
10,000 rpm's is just right ..no need to cook the bits..
You are only taking off 7/16" of stock the norm and the 690 has the power easy to do that..

=====
Bob,

How happy are you with the HF speed control? I just picked up a PC 690 and a Bosch 1604 that are single speed. I'd like to use a speed control with them.

I've never come across them in my local store, are they an online item only?

Steve.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
They work just fine Steve. If the MI is for Michigan and you are near the "D" you are welcome to stop by and try your router on one before buying. I use one for my 1617 routers which have straight switches instead of the EVS control system.

·
Registered
349 Posts
They work just fine Steve. If the MI is for Michigan and you are near the "D" you are welcome to stop by and try your router on one before buying. I use one for my 1617 routers which have straight switches instead of the EVS control system.
Mike - I am downriver in Trenton.

Steve.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Steve

" online item only? " = I think so I don't recalling seeing them in the outlet stores..

I like the speed control boxes, I use them all over the shop, at last count 5 in the shop...

If you don't like the HF stuff you can get one from MLCS, it's a bit higher in price..but with free shipping.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html

========

Bob,

How happy are you with the HF speed control? I just picked up a PC 690 and a Bosch 1604 that are single speed. I'd like to use a speed control with them.

I've never come across them in my local store, are they an online item only?

Steve.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Steve. I've seen them in the Eureka Rd store in the past, but haven't looked for them recently so maybe they have made them online only.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
The Mt. Clemmons store has a couple in stock. I think this is up to the individual store to decide on stocking them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts