Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea Porter Cable has discontinued the 690 router! Today I was going to use the router in a PC router table and changed bits out and the power didn’t come on. i thought I blew a circuit. Anyway, long story short, it was the power cable. I went in and tried to pull the cord through the strain relief boot but it was so difficult I went looking for parts. No dice.
Came back and sliced open the boot and redid the connection but the wire nuts were really hard to get all into the casing. Re- doing the cord I was surprised to find it was an 18 gauge wire. But, there are all kinds of cracks. I may have to do it again.
Do any of you recommend a parts supply? How can I redo the wiring again as the wires are crimped. every time I re - wire this thing there is less and less wire to strip and connect with wire nuts. I don’t want to feed the wires to the inside where the turning parts are ( commutator?).

On a complete different tangent, what router would you all recommend to replace this 690 router with. I read a bunch of reviews. I thought the DeWalt looked good till I read some horror stories of collets breaking and terrible customer support. ( sometimes it’s not good to believe all too). I have a couple of Makita laminate trimmers. Never tried a Milwaukee or Bosch.
Anyway, I would sure enjoy hearing the advice and help here.

Thank you all!
Tim

·
Registered
Paul
2,100 Posts
I love my Bosch 1617 but from reading posts here in the past it seems Makita has a lot of fans too. It looks like PC still sells the 690 online but in the later years many have posted that it's not what it once was. I would choose Bosch, Makita or Milwaukee (in that order).

The commutator is the part that the brushes ride on. You're right that you want to keep the wires safe in that area. If your wires are getting too short where you haven't got room for wire nuts maybe solder with heat-shrink tubing could be used. I've usually found that creative wire bending and three hands will usually get the connectors to fit in. ;-)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do.you have accessories for the 690?
Yes. I have the small router table and a plunge base. I got it working for now, but I may have to do the new cord soon again. The old one was shortened to get rid of crack in the old rubber, but I found it was an 18 gauge cord, so easy to replace. I have a new boot on order.
It’s an older model 690 so, it’s a good one,I hate to lose it!
I got my eye on that Bosch 1617 if this one fails.
Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love my Bosch 1617 but from reading posts here in the past it seems Makita has a lot of fans too. It looks like PC still sells the 690 online but in the later years many have posted that it's not what it once was. I would choose Bosch, Makita or Milwaukee (in that order).

The commutator is the part that the brushes ride on. You're right that you want to keep the wires safe in that area. If your wires are getting too short where you haven't got room for wire nuts maybe solder with heat-shrink tubing could be used. I've usually found that creative wire bending and three hands will usually get the connectors to fit in. ;-)
Hey TenGees, I’m with you. The Bosch 1617evs looks like a great router. Like I said in another reply, I got the old 690 fixed but I may need to redo the cord when the stress reliever boot arrives. I like your idea of soldering on a longer wire with shrink wrap. Thank you!

This is the older model 690 so it’s a great version! I’d really hate to lose the router , especially because I have a plunge base and table. But, the Bosch has all that stuff for under $500. Looks like a great machine. Regardless, I now feel comfortable that there are other routers out there that perform well. I have to say, I’m kind of bummed out that the US doesn’t want to make great machines anymore.😢

tim

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yes. I have the small router table and a plunge base. I got it working for now, but I may have to do the new cord soon again. The old one was shortened to get rid of crack in the old rubber, but I found it was an 18 gauge cord, so easy to replace. I have a new boot on order.
It’s an older model 690 so, it’s a good one,I hate to lose it!
I got my eye on that Bosch 1617 if this one fails.
Tim
When I say accessories I mean things only that will work on a PC. If you want a Bosch, I'd buy one if not I'd get on Ebay and hunt for router for the bases...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I say accessories I mean things only that will work on a PC. If you want a Bosch, I'd buy one if not I'd get on Ebay and hunt for router for the bases...
Oh, I see. Like guide bushings. Yeah, that’s about it for accessories. Is the edge guide considered accessory? I think that was a standard accessory that came with this. Wow, now I realize that was a looong time ago.
it’s been a great router . ……
Cut a lot of circles with it. A buddy and I were building telescope parts. We cut a lot of rings for some of the parts. I still remember well the day we got up early, still groggy from the night before and started cutting more rings.
You know the way you’re supposed to leave little islands of wood ? That morning I literally spaced out and just cut away. Suddenly the whole thing blew up and the circles and main board got loose! If it never happened to you, it will definitely wake you up!
Anyway, it’s been a workhorse. I traded my brother in law a mortise cutter for a PC 3 1/4 HP router. He had a really nice router table he gave me as well. I got the way better deal! I still have to haul it out of a shed and use it. Too bad PC is not producing those old great routers anymore.
Without a workshop, I’ve been doing woodworking on a patio deck for years now. My workbench is a 3/4” piece of plywood atop a couple of Stanley plastic horses! Unbelievable. If I ever won the lottery, and got an official workshop, I think I’d just sit there and look at it for a few weeks!
tim

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had no idea Porter Cable has discontinued the 690 router! Today I was going to use the router in a PC router table and changed bits out and the power didn’t come on. i thought I blew a circuit. Anyway, long story short, it was the power cable. I went in and tried to pull the cord through the strain relief boot but it was so difficult I went looking for parts. No dice.
Came back and sliced open the boot and redid the connection but the wire nuts were really hard to get all into the casing. Re- doing the cord I was surprised to find it was an 18 gauge wire. But, there are all kinds of cracks. I may have to do it again.
Do any of you recommend a parts supply? How can I redo the wiring again as the wires are crimped. every time I re - wire this thing there is less and less wire to strip and connect with wire nuts. I don’t want to feed the wires to the inside where the turning parts are ( commutator?).

On a complete different tangent, what router would you all recommend to replace this 690 router with. I read a bunch of reviews. I thought the DeWalt looked good till I read some horror stories of collets breaking and terrible customer support. ( sometimes it’s not good to believe all too). I have a couple of Makita laminate trimmers. Never tried a Milwaukee or Bosch.
Anyway, I would sure enjoy hearing the advice and help here.

Thank you all!
Tim
I use E replacement parts. Use this link for the 690: Porter Cable Fixed Base Router | 690 | eReplacementParts.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
I started out with an Hitachi HV-12 or something like that. I wouldn't recommend it for much of anything after I found the spindle to have 0.003"+ runout at the nose. I've had a Bosch 1617EVS. Worked great, but wasn't made for table use. Got a PC890 replacement, but it clogged up with dust and needed cleaning and adjusting frequently. For handheld use I'd go back to Bosch because of their bushing system, and never buy used without handling first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tim,
If you need the power cord, go to eReplacement parts.com. Joseph already posted the link for the tool. I use this vendor all of the time for many items and they're great to deal with. FYI: 690 Part# A11126, #5 in top diagram, $24.00. Also, I have the complete 690 setup, with all bases/accessories and have replaced worn parts with no issues. Unfortunately, not everything is unavailable because of discontinued manufacturing. Second choices: Try ebay and seek a used 690 for parts -- or Amazon, who has many parts vendors. Just type in the 690 model# and part# for a search. Surprisingly, it really works. If no luck, I'd go with Bosch. Good luck!

- Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey TenGees, I’m with you. The Bosch 1617evs looks like a great router. Like I said in another reply, I got the old 690 fixed but I may need to redo the cord when the stress reliever boot arrives. I like your idea of soldering on a longer wire with shrink wrap. Thank you!

This is the older model 690 so it’s a great version! I’d really hate to lose the router , especially because I have a plunge base and table. But, the Bosch has all that stuff for under $500. Looks like a great machine. Regardless, I now feel comfortable that there are other routers out there that perform well. I have to say, I’m kind of bummed out that the US doesn’t want to make great machines anymore.😢

tim
Hello all, bought the Bosch 1617 evs a year or so ago and love it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tim,
If you need the power cord, go to eReplacement parts.com. Joseph already posted the link for the tool. I use this vendor all of the time for many items and they're great to deal with. FYI: 690 Part# A11126, #5 in top diagram, $24.00. Also, I have the complete 690 setup, with all bases/accessories and have replaced worn parts with no issues. Unfortunately, not everything is unavailable because of discontinued manufacturing. Second choices: Try ebay and seek a used 690 for parts -- or Amazon, who has many parts vendors. Just type in the 690 model# and part# for a search. Surprisingly, it really works. If no luck, I'd go with Bosch. Good luck!

- Bob
Thank you Bob! Great help to me. That’s the exact part I need.
tim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tim,

So glad I could assist you!

FYI: This site is my go-to for mower, power equipment, appliances, power tools -- you name it. I've used them for many years and the items have always worked, even the aftermarket stuff. I use them alot to replace small carbs on leaf blowers, trimmers, mower electricals, etc. Prices are reasonable. Diagrams can be copy/pasted/printed and their website has loads of how-to guides.

- Bob

1 - 20 of 29 Posts