Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to land another PC 8902 to continue on with my jobs and I can't seem to locate any store or amazon that carries it. Looks like it is discontinued.
I picked up a dewalt (DW618K) 2.5HP Variable speed, but to be honest I am not happy with the finishes its giving me compared to the PC. Even the chuck / collet didn't seem as promising.

Does anyone know what replaced the PC890 or what is out there in comparison.

I have another router with a Makita but I kind of wanted the same Base. 3.5 Vs Makita 2.5

Thanks for any info in advance.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
If you are having trouble finding an 890 motor, call Burl at Digital WoodCarver. He may be able to help. Porter Cable Upgrade Router — Digital Wood Carver

As for 890s vs 690s,

I have 2 older 890s and a "newer" (10 year old) 890. The older ones were a definite step up from the 693, which only sees use as a flush trim router these days. The soft start and variable speed are a plus. The 693 was a better plunge router, as the plunge mechanism on the 890's was a "B" at best, but the fixed base was so easy to use in the table I never really worried about it.

The biggest advantage is how fast it is to change motors between bases. I can have 3 bits set up and just swap motors, and go between the different machines, router table bases, etc quickly and easily.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I guess I never change bases, I just change routers. When I need variable speed, I just grab a bigger router...

I was goin to sell all my routers and get new routers but it was suggested I didn't because quality has fallen....

I figured the next step for my as Bosch if I wanted another 690 type router....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.