Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor of the 690 Porter Cable can be inserted in a fixed base or a plunge base. Mine is stuck in the plunge base. I have backed off the nut and slide on the plunge base that holds the motor in but just can't lossen the motor. Without taking in hand the biggest hammer I have, what solutions can anyone propose? Thanks for your help on this frustrating problem.

LarryP

·
Registered
782 Posts
stuck motor

LarryP said:
The motor of the 690 Porter Cable can be inserted in a fixed base or a plunge base. Mine is stuck in the plunge base. I have backed off the nut and slide on the plunge base that holds the motor in but just can't lossen the motor. Without taking in hand the biggest hammer I have, what solutions can anyone propose? Thanks for your help on this frustrating problem.

LarryP
here is what you are soppose to do When you put router in the plung base dont put all the way down to where it stop's Leve it up about 1/8" so when you loosen the allen screw it comes loose and drop's down than you can take it out When you bottom it out It can't drop down and come loose I guess screw the allen out all the way and let the pieces come off And than put the 2 back togother Hopes this help's I have 2 of the PC 690 good routers

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Larry

This is what I would try to get the motor off.
Make a jig clamp with some hardwood (2" thick) but not more than 5 1/2" wide max so it can be clamped in the vise,take a trip down to the auto parts store and pickup some spray they use on OG sensor plugs, anti-sease stuff and some anti-sease compound at the same time.
Then clamp the motor and rock it free, you may need to use a RUBBER hammer to free it but with care. :)
Once it's out wipe the inside with the anti-sease compound and check for any nicks and remove them .then slide it back in and check to make sure it's free.

Hope this helps and good luck
Bj :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
You're Welcome Larry, I hope it works for you :)

PLEASE repost after you get the job done, I for one would like to know and others I'm sure.

Bj :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my Porter-Cable 8902 motor becoming stuck in the Model 8901 Fixed Base after being used for several months on a router table. It appears that the vibration from the motor served to really pack the wood dust between the motor housing and the base. I freed it up by standing the router on a workbench and GENTLY tapping the base housing with a small hammer. Little-by-little the jammed wood dust began to fall out. Inspection with a flashlight revealed a jam that hadn't budged so I dug it out with a very thin 6-inch stainless steel ruler. Eventually I manage to pull the motor free. After cleaning things up, the motor moved freely when it was reinstalled in the base.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts