Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... This is my first day on this site... I am looking at purchasing a porter cable 7518 router from an American Site on the Internet but i am now worried about Voltage problems... In South Africa we run on 220-230... Is this going to be a problem?

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Chris, is your 220 50htz or 60 htz?

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome

Hi... This is my first day on this site... I am looking at purchasing a porter cable 7518 router from an American Site on the Internet but i am now worried about Voltage problems... In South Africa we run on 220-230... Is this going to be a problem?
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for joining us, Chris.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The voltage would be a problem, but could be solved with a large transformer (4000VA or 4KVA rating minimum assuming that the machine always is started off load). Expect the transformer to cost more than the router.

Frequency is not an issue in this case as the motor is a 'universal' motor and should be capable of handling the frequency difference. Univeral motor speed is dependant on voltage, induction motor speed is dependant of frequency.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Frequency is not an issue in this case as the motor is a 'universal' motor and should be capable of handling the frequency difference. Univeral motor speed is dependant on voltage, induction motor speed is dependant of frequency.
Finally, someone has it right!! Good job Mal!

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Mal, are you taking into consideration the soft start/speed control module? My guess is it will be damaged and is $$$ to replace. The modules are very picky and can not be used with external speed controllers... so altering the htz may be a problem.

Chris, it is a holiday weekend here and many companies are closed on Monday. Give me a chance to dig further into this Tuesday.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mal, are you taking into consideration the soft start/speed control module? My guess is it will be damaged and is $$$ to replace. The modules are very picky and can not be used with external speed controllers... so altering the htz may be a problem.
Mike, the speed control modules use triac technology to prrogressively reduce the portion of the AC cycle that gets to the motor. There should not be an appreciable difference between feeding 50Hz and 60Hz to the controller, but they would not work with a DC supply and would be less efficient with supplies below about 30Hz. There is nothing in the controller that is so frequency dependant that it would be upset by a 20% variation in supply frequency, and the motors are capable of handling Dc to around 100Hz before the core material magnetic characteristics would come into play.

The reason the speed controllers can't work with external speed controllers is that you end up with two systems working in the same way to try and control the motor, but the second controller is recieving a prechopped waveform when it expects a sine wave, and has a hard time decoding the steep rising edge produced by the external controller and synching to it. Obviously if the external controller is turned down to slow speeds, there is no way that the integrated controller could recover the missing portion of the waveform and boost the speed.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The voltage would be a problem, but could be solved with a large transformer (4000VA or 4KVA rating minimum assuming that the machine always is started off load). Expect the transformer to cost more than the router.
Hi Mal

Actually a standard 16 Ampere load (3.3kVA) transformer would do fine with this sort of router. We use them for site work in the UK, although they are used in other countries on railways and in mines where 230 volt nominal mains needs to be stepped down to 110 volt (actually ours are +55/-55 volts as the windings are centre tapped). In the UK we pay £40 to £70 for these units

Regards

Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts