Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have talked about adding a CNC or laser for years. I have a corporate job and do a fair bit of woodworking and turning as a hobby. I have always tried to make my hobbies mostly pay for themselves. My wife has a full time jewelry business mostly on Etsy (Silver and Ivy). We have a Laguna IQ ordered that should be here I. A couple weeks.
My first job out of high school was in a small CNC shop that worked with plastics. I spent a lot more time on mills and lathes than the router table, but it was a good foundation that I hope will help my learning curve now. In the past with other hobbies, I have found forums to be a great place to learn and share with others. I hope the same happens here.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking projects. I'm just now trying to concentrate on beginning turning and will use my Shopsmith until I feel I can justify a full blown lathe. Very nice live edge bowls indeed.

·
Premium Member
19,445 Posts
Nice work. I'm not a CNC guy, although very interested. Here is a string that may be extremely helpful as you consider a business. I like my Laguna tools, great engineering, hold up well.

One member here, Gaffboat (Oliver Henry) has published a couple of good beginner books, one going through the terminology (lots of it), the other on design, which will be very important. They are published under Prof. Henry's byline, available on Amazon. Here are pix of the covers.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,621 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
19,445 Posts
Just realized I forgot to put the link to the post, making a nice living with a CNC. Well worth the read and a lot of good information that should help you get rolling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link. I had already read that and was a pretty surprised at how fired up the conversation got. Those books look interesting, I will look them up.

·
Official Greeter
18,790 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You can always ease into the business side of this and see how things do. My understanding is that marketing is key to this type of business and can be the make/break point regardless of the quality of the work. Of course better quality will likely get you return customers I would think but this is something you need to decide on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts