Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to pick up an unused Speedy 207 router for a very reasonable price. The current owner bought it many years ago, never got it to work and gave up. I happen to have a good amount of experience running and programming CNC routers professionally.

It's clearly an obsolete piece of equipment, but since I won't be using it to make a living, it seems like a project I could have some fun with.

All of my google searches for this machine have led back to this forum. There seem to be a few common error messages. From what I can see, the controller actually has some pretty useful parametric software built in. It appears that it can run standard g-code as well.

Can anyone enlighten me further about this machine? The Speedy 207 appears to be very well built, at least to the standards of the day (AKA 20 years ago). Is it worth a bit of tinkering and TLC to get this thing running or would it be better used as a boat anchor?

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Is it worth a bit of tinkering and TLC to get this thing running or would it be better used as a boat anchor?
I would say only you can decide that. Even if you never get it to work, you could get your money's worth out of it just messing with it. It's your dime.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Can you update the controller and software and then use the machine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I dragged the beast home...all 1600 lbs of it plus the console. The darn thing only has 6 hours on the clock. Everything seems well lubricated so I'm not too worried about any seized parts.

Pun intended though, this machine is boring, and only for boring. I hadn't realized before that this machine doesn't have a spindle, only a drilling block and grooving saw. Also, it's only a 2-axis machine, meaning it doesn't have a real Z-axis, only a pneumatic actuator that hits a depth stop.

But, it is definitely a rock solid platform. The vacuum-pod-and-rail setup is really nice, I have owned and run nested machines before and the hold down was never 100% reliable even with 30HP of vacuum. It shouldn't be too hard to replace the machine head with a spindle, and ultimately replace the controller with something more modern that can run a z-axis.

The first step will be to buy a phase converter so I can run it in my garage. Let me know if you have any input on the best way to get that done, I can't see the nameplate on the vac pump, but the nameplate on the machine frame is 20A, so I think a 5HP rotary ought to do the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.