Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Practice inlay piece to test technique for a larger project. This is Walnut, African Mahogany, and Cherry. It’s 12” x 6”. Pockets and inlay pieces were drawn freehand in Fusion 360, cut on the CNC, then each piece hand filed and fitted. Leaf veins were cut by hand, as well. Finish is 2 lb. cut Shellac and applied with French polish method. Veins are highlighted with Mohawk Van **** Brown glazing stain. Finish took about 20 minutes from bare wood.

Leaf Orange Yellow Brown Tree

Leaf Yellow Brown Wood Tree

Brown Leaf Wood Textile Plant

Enjoy!
David

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL! Yep, missed it on the caterpillars!

The real project will be about 16" x 21" and I'll do it on the piece on the left -

Wood stain Wood Table Furniture Plywood

David

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a novel idea, Scott! No sir, never have. I've inlaid gold, silver, Abalone, MOP, but never any filings. I'll check on that next time I'm out.

I would imagine you get a good variety of color from the filings, right? Do you have any photos you can share?

David

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Walnut crotch piece? Thought about how it would look as a cap on a solid body electric or even as a back on an acoustic if I thinned it enough - right now it's 0.250" thick. But no, it's destined to be a wall panel with frame. That, however, is a fluid idea as are many things in my shop! :grin:

David

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
That piece of Walnut will look great with that inlay installed. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is tentatively what I am planning although now that I've done the test piece I'll delete this drawing and start over. I learned that the way I have drawn this will back me into some corners on the CAM side of things, so it's just easier to start over.

Text Blue Screenshot Font Line

David

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice! You did that in 20 minutes?? Wow! A game changer...
The finish, yes. The machining, hand fitting, vein carving - no. Not even close! LOL!

Of course, the first round of French polishing was about 10 minutes and I let it set for an hour while I did something else. Then I put the glazing stain on and wiped it off and let it set for another hour, again while I was doing something else (I think we watched a movie). Then I came back for a few minutes for a final round of French polishing, so total time was 20 minutes or less but I spread it over 3 or 4 hours because I had other things to do.

If you've never tried French polishing with Shellac then give it a shot - it's a great finish and looks fantastic.

David

·
Registered
580 Posts
David, I love the French polish look when other people do it. lol

That is a time consuming process to get a high gloss finish. Gorgeous of course when other people do it since I won't do it.

I hate quality finishes for myself. One or two coats of varnish, poly, or lacquer and calling it good. After a decade or two the wood will get hard any way. ;)

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
David, I love the French polish look when other people do it. lol

That is a time consuming process to get a high gloss finish. Gorgeous of course when other people do it since I won't do it.

I hate quality finishes for myself. One or two coats of varnish, poly, or lacquer and calling it good. After a decade or two the wood will get hard any way. ;)
I usually stop before reaching the ultra-high gloss, Oscar. I've done it before when I needed to for repairs to match an existing finish but when I do something from scratch I'd rather stop short of that. I just think it looks better for most projects.

This one is glossy enough that I had difficulty getting good photos but here's a shot about half way through the process to show the sheen, although I killed some of the sheen in post so you could see some detail (it's glossier now than in this photo) -

Wood Wood stain Table Hardwood Rectangle

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.