Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fleur de lis cut as a practice piece, Cherry into Walnut. Carveco is what I used to create the toolpath. This is just wiped in Naphtha to see how it will look. There's a one minute video on my Instagram page showing this being cut.

David

·
Registered
102 Posts
Beautiful, I particularly like the cherry. I've never used naphtha, the Wikipedia for it is confusing how it relates to wood finish. Do you have a non-video link about naphtha?

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,022 Posts
Awesome David.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful, I particularly like the cherry. I've never used naphtha, the Wikipedia for it is confusing how it relates to wood finish. Do you have a non-video link about naphtha?
I use Naphtha instead of mineral spirits (paint thinner) because the smell isn't as offensive to me and it flashes off quickly. I do keep a little mineral spirits handy in the event I need that 'look' to stay longer for a photo, though.

Here's a write-up on Naphtha - Naphthas - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

David

Edit - It's called VM&P Naphtha and many don't know what the VM&P stands for; it's Varnish Makers & Painters Naphtha

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
Nice looking inlay David.

I also use Naphtha in my shop. A word of caution, it is highly flammable, the same thing as lighter fluid for cigarette lighters. It was also used in fingernail polish remover that melted the polish. It will also eat most plastics so it is not recommended for use around them unless you are using it to fuse crazing cracks in auto lenses or for plastic welding applications, YES, it was also used in plastic model glues many years ago.

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is highly flammable
Yes sir, it is. But so is my lacquer thinner, paint thinner (mineral spirits), DNA, lacquers, etc. but I don't have any open flames in the shop and we don't smoke (can't stand even being around it, actually) so I use it in a fairly safe environment.

Glad you like the inlay, Mike! I'm experimenting with something different today and I'll post photos if it works. If not, then we never had this discussion... :cool:

David

·
Registered
964 Posts
David,
You would be liked in this part of the planet, our Provincial flag has four of those and trust me when I say Quebecers are sure proud of their(our) Fleur de Lys !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts