Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So down in the shop yesterday and haven't used my dado blade for a good while but gave it a good workout yesterday. The blades are clean and sharp but for the life of me I can't seem to get a clean smooth cut. I have the Freud SD208 I bought almost 2 years ago (3/17) and I've never been happy with the quality of cut.

Now I also have a Oshlun Box Joint cutter set that leaves a very nice clean cut every time but of course can only cut smaller widths, 1/4" or 3/8" depending on how the blades are oriented or use a single blade. I could use this blade(s) and make multiple cuts or just get a decent dado set. I've looked at others and one of the bad things about blades is you really can't try them to see how well they do. Most of my blades for my Sawstop PCS are Forrest and I have great cuts with these. I do have a Freud Glue Line Rip blade that leaves a glue ready smooth cut that I love.

So question becomes, money aside, who makes a great dado set that gives clean/very clean cuts? Anyone have the Forrest Dado King and is it worth the $259? I should also mention that this set "This Forrest carbide saw blade set has a 30-day money back guarantee; Made in USA". Or just use what I have an get a router plane? How well does a router plane work on plywood?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Steve,

I have a Freud adjustable width dado set that is nice for fine tuning the width of the dado, and it's expensive, but it doesn't leave a smooth bottom in the dado. I have the Freud SBOX8 box joint blade set that's much like your Oshlun, that I use frequently for making box joints because it does leave a smooth bottom in the dado cuts. A couple of times recently I have wanted to cut some 3/4" wide dados with smooth bottoms, and decided to use the 3/8" setup of the Freud SBOX8 blade set along with my Microjig Match Fit Dado Stop, and it worked well for me. It took a couple of passes for each dado, but the bottom was smooth and the dado was the correct width.

Do you have a Match Fit Dado Stop? They are easy to use and work quite well. You will find many other uses for the dovetail clamps that come with it too.

Charley

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I can't help you with your direct question on the dado blade or router plane. Though, I can't imagine a plane working well cross grain.

I gave up on dado blades a while ago instead use a router jig for exact dados. Always hated setting up my TS for the dado blade - wastes time and monopolizes the TS.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have the Freud SD508...
no qualms.. at all...

it is a far different creature than the 208...
the box joint set are a different animals...

Reactions: doc8254 and anndel

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
I have the Oshun dado set, and it give me clean cuts. I especially like that the chipper blades have 4 teeth.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I have the Freud SD508...no complaints...

You mentioned a router plane...are your unclean cuts on the bottom of the dado or the sides where it enters...?

The router plane will clean up the bottoms of dado cuts very nicely...however, if using on plywood, you may have a problem when you get to the glued portion between the layers where one layer ends and the other begins. If you're using good ply, you should not have a problem using a router plane.

If you do some shopping (eBay, FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc) you may find an old Stanley router plane that will be to your liking.

If not, there's always Veritas (I have both...love 'em both)...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
@sreilly

Steve...don't forget about using the router with a dado jig... see https://www.routerforums.com/portable-routing/39451-router-dado-jig-stairs.html

I made that jig adjustable so that it can make grooves/dados at any angle to the wood piece...

Slap your piece between the slides, set it to 90*, squeeze it together and, "viola", EXACT fit...this will take care of any imperfections in the wood width...

The base the router sits on is precisely cut so that a specific router and that router's specific edge is used as the guide. It was zero-clearanced when built.

You can also eliminate the hassle of adjusting for 90* by making the same jig fixed...

Just another thought...

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Phil; yes on the TS time issue. In my case I have a love/hate relationship with the DIMAR OEM shims. The holes are for all practical purposes pretty much exactly the arbor size...it's a royal p.i.t.a. getting them to slip onto and off the arbor.
I think I'll simply shear a radius cut into each one, unless there's some really good reason not to (?).
DIMAR Cutting Tools Ltd.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I have the Oshun dado set and it cut a slight groove on each side of the daodo slot. I sent it in the saw shop and had them sharpen the outside cutters to cut a flat cut, Now it works like a dream. It is cheaper to have them resharpened than to buy a new set.
HErb

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the Freud SD508...no complaints...

You mentioned a router plane...are your unclean cuts on the bottom of the dado or the sides where it enters...?

The router plane will clean up the bottoms of dado cuts very nicely...however, if using on plywood, you may have a problem when you get to the glued portion between the layers where one layer ends and the other begins. If you're using good ply, you should not have a problem using a router plane.

If you do some shopping (eBay, FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc) you may find an old Stanley router plane that will be to your liking.

If not, there's always Veritas (I have both...love 'em both)...
The rough cut is the bottom of the groove. I have looked at the router plane but haven't used one yet. On the list......

·
Registered
251 Posts
...snip...
Most of my blades for my Sawstop PCS ...snip...

So question becomes, money aside, who makes a great dado set that gives clean/very clean cuts?
...snip...
DeWalt 7670 8"

Recommended by SawStop (but I doubt exclusively).

Regardless, in my limited experience, it produces very clean cuts. And I have not found it that much trouble to set up, but what do I know, this is the only dado set I've ever used. Smooth, flat bottoms, no tear out or chipping.

Rick

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had a Forrest dado stack for quite a few years. It makes perfect cuts in plywood as well as hardwoods. Velvety smooth, couldn't sand any better. Send them back to Forrest if you have need to sharpen, they will come back perfect. I have tried a lot of dado sets over the last 50 years and none are better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What about Ridge Carbide dado blades? Any users/experience with them? I'm thinking of picking up a set. Been using my router for dados and it works fine so far, just lots of tearout I have to sand.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've heard good things about Ridge lately, haven't tried them. Mine is Onsrud but I don't think they sell them anymore.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
The rough cut is the bottom of the groove. I have looked at the router plane but haven't used one yet. On the list......

Steve...if it's the bottom of the cut, you might just need sharpening...? Check alignment of the chippers and blades to make sure all the teeth are on the same plane (circumference) with each other...

Are any of the blades/chippers sloppy on the arbor...?

There shouldn't be any reason for bottom of cut to be rough unless teeth/chippers aren't doing their job...

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
I have a set I have used twice. I have a DadoWiz (discontinued) that I prefer by far to futzing with a dado stack. I place a piece of the stock into an adjustable slot and close it. I found that I should add a piece of paper to allow a little room for glue. With a downcut spiral bit installed, I place the jig on a straight edge, place the router on the jig and voila, a perfect dado or groove with a flat bottom.

For 1/8th splines, the Freud full kerf glue line blade is perfection. I also have the 1/4 - 3/8ths set Stick mentioned. A joy to use this set with an ibox jig for box joints.

I do have a router plane, but have only used it occasionally to flatten a bottom of a groove or dado that I cut in multiple passes with a narrow blade, or to flatten the bottom of a lap joint. I have to admit that I really enjoy using that nifty little plane, but don't think I'd like using it for a large number of dados. It's a pretty little veritas.

My dado set is made by Mibro and I got it 12 years ago at HD. Only has two arms on the chippers. I recall it was a pretty cheap set, but it worked OK and cuts a flat bottom.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.