Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 new prescriptions that are unaffordable......
Any of you guys buy from Canada ??
If so, who do you use ??

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have 3 new prescriptions that are unaffordable......
Any of you guys buy from Canada ??
If so, who do you use ??
Kurt a lot of doctors will give you your medicine if you can't afford it. Talk to your doctor about it. Worst thing they can do is say no.

I have a friend that buys some of his meds over seas. I don't know anything about it but you could look around on the net. :smile:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
got a Publix or CVS near you...
they have help pay programs...
out of country is risky business because of counterfeiting...

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
got a Publix or CVS near you...
they have help pay programs...
out of country is risky business because of counterfeiting...
More than just those. A few years ago I looked up lower cost drugs for them that made a substantial savings, at maybe a dozen drugstores. And, of course, can't remember the name now. But a bit of google searching should turn it up.

Some years ago one of my meds jumped from something like $27 a month, to something like $180. I was able to get it thru Express Scripts for just the cost of shipping. Don't know if you would be eligible for that tho, I am retired military, so eligible.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
So, here's the way it works up here, N. of 49.
The various Provincial Govt's contract with legitimate Pharmaceutical companies to supply drugs at bulk contract prices. That's why it's less expensive up here. The drugstores (Pharmacists) get paid a dispensing fee for every prescription they fill; they don't get a markup on the drugs themselves. Obviously OTC stuff is a different story.
The process may vary from Province to Province.
Here in BC...
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/pharmacare-for-bc-residents

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: TenGees

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Check with the manufacturer. I have seen statements on TV that is you can't afford your medicine, they can help.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the pharmacies here, the total per month is $1300+ .....
I’ve looked everywhere..... All my docs ran out of samples...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check with the manufacturer. I have seen statements on TV that is you can't afford your medicine, they can help.
I take Pradaxa and the manufacturer covers all of the copay. I got a "savings card" for the pharmaceutical from my doctor, called and got it set up in a few minutes. They only cover if you have private insurance...no government insurance. It would have cost me $200 a month without their help. My wife has two insulin equipment things that are also partially covered by the manufacturers under the same type of program. Call your doctor and call the manufacturer.

·
Registered
Paul
1,836 Posts
I saw a program on PBS about the counterfeit drugs as Stick mentioned. Scary how big it is. Be careful with online stuff. Even some pharmacies are questionable. In the program an American pharmacy that advertised Canadian drugs was bringing in stuff from all over (except Canada) and some of it contained ingredients like drywall.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I saw a program on PBS about the counterfeit drugs as Stick mentioned. Scary how big it is. Be careful with online stuff. Even some pharmacies are questionable. In the program an American pharmacy that advertised Canadian drugs was bringing in stuff from all over (except Canada) and some of it contained ingredients like drywall.
I hope they remove the paper first.
Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Kurt,
$1300/mth. wow, here in Quebec, where I live, if you don't have private insurance, the government plan has a maximum you pay per month of under $100. I'm insured at work so I pay more per month, but when I reach the yearly maximum os $1046, then I no longer pay for the rest of the year.
Yesterday I went to the pharmacy to get some Robaxcet with Codeine that I buy regularly for my sore back. I usually pay $110+tax for 100 pills and this time the pharmacist asked my DR. for a prescription for them, so they only cost me $20. Great !
Daninvan; same here buddy.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
So, here's the way it works up here, N. of 49.
The various Provincial Govt's contract with legitimate Pharmaceutical companies to supply drugs at bulk contract prices. That's why it's less expensive up here. The drugstores (Pharmacists) get paid a dispensing fee for every prescription they fill; they don't get a markup on the drugs themselves. Obviously OTC stuff is a different story.
The process may vary from Province to Province.
Here in BC...
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/pharmacare-for-bc-residents
Basically the same in Ontario. Single payer System. The province contracts to buy in bulk thereby improving prices. If the drug companies want the business they bend. Much less expensive. Counterfeit ? Hardly. We have a lot of consumer watchdogs. Don't want to screw with a good system. If you have a legitimate health card (issued by the province) you pay a pharmacy dispensing fee for the prescription. Seniors over 65 pay $4.11 dispensing after the first $100 dollars of prescriptions. The year runs August to July 31. Don't ask why. Sometimes the drug companies subsidize the cost. For example: I take a brand name capsule. I got a 90 day supply of capsules in November. Total cost $187.00 Ontario Drug benefit Plan for seniors paid $50. My wife's private health insurance paid almost $50. If I had no private insurance the province would pick it up. ( Wife's a retired teacher) Subsidy was $105. No dispensing fee this time. It was also covered. I paid nothing. Zero. In 2012 I had a bad summer. All at one time I had two herniated discs, a bad kidney stone incident, and acute Vertigo. The Vertigo lasted 9 days. I was admitted to hospital, semi-private, I was there for 8 of the 9 days, I had an epidural for the disc problem and I was on intravenous for that time because I couldn't keep anything down. I walked out at the end of it all and the only thing I had done was sign a risk form for the epidural. All I did was produce my health card. As of Jan.1st this year the Province has made all drugs free for those 25 and under. They are now discussing universal dental care. I don't mind the higher taxes in some cases. I know it's costing me something. We're in it together. "I am my brother's keeper".

·
Registered
869 Posts
Have you talked with anybody at your town Senior Center or Elder Affairs Dept? One of the counselors there may be able to help you find an affordable insurance drug plan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I buy from:

https://www.northwestpharmacy.com/

I've used them for about 3 years now. My doctor recommended them. Like any reputable pharmacy, they will insist on a prescription from your doctor, which the doc can fax to them.
You are very lucky that you the doctor advises such clever things. On the advice of my doctor, I once turned to one ... people, say that. Lost a lot of money and nerves. Then I came across a review of just this site - and everything became perfect! I can only support your words.

If anyone is interested, here this review about northwestpharmacy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts