Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I did the presentation at the NWW Workers Assoc. meeting of the Fractual wood burning.

After stressing the safety standpoints thoroughly, I did a slide show of 250+ pictures of my latest projects and then had a drawing for the 20+ items that I made with the Fractual wood burning technique. At the end of the program I showed them the documentation of the fatalities from doing this type of work and stressed the risk involved and the fact of no margin of error. Most members agreed that the risks were not worth the consequences.
At first they were disappointed that I didn't do a hands on demonstration, but I explained that since we were meeting at WoodCraft Store, that I did not feel that I should put then in a liable situation and stink up their store to boot,maybe setting off alarms and having a visit from the fire department.
At the end of the presentation I was approached by a member wanting to buy the unit since I was not going to do anymore of this type of woodburning, and he had 2 small 8 & 10 yo. boys tagging along, I refused to do that , I could never sleep at night if I did. another member approached me and I refused him also ,until he told me he was a licensed electrician and worked Hi voltage quite often and was also an Electrical Engineer. After taking to him and confirming in my mind he is what he says , I sold the unit to him, with the feeling that he knew enough to check out the specs and wire insulation stamp along with the UL label and said it was a well built unit.
I also found out that the gloves I was using were not rated ClassII but only for 500v. Class II hi voltage gloves start about $180 and above. Mine only cost $30 and were rated class 00. (That made me wipe my brow).

Herb

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Good for you not letting greed go to your head and making sure he was smart enough to use it, like you I would hate to know that hurt someone

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
KUDOS to you Herb...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Update: it was pointed out on another forum by someone who uses Class II andClass III gloves that they are required to be tested every 3 months and air tested daily. None of that information is ever disseminated on these videos of fractual burning.

https://www.grainger.com/content/qt-electrical-safety-gloves-inspection-262

Herb
Thank you, Herb...I was just about to post that info.

HV is nothing to monkey with. Even the best HV electricians can make a mistake. One of the members of our HV crew flash burnt his arm on a 13,800 Volt line to the tune of $1/2 M in medical bills.

Although I was fascinated with the process, I'll definitely pass.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Last night I did the presentation at the NWW Workers Assoc. meeting of the Fractual wood burning.

After stressing the safety standpoints thoroughly, I did a slide show of 250+ pictures of my latest projects and then had a drawing for the 20+ items that I made with the Fractual wood burning technique. At the end of the program I showed them the documentation of the fatalities from doing this type of work and stressed the risk involved and the fact of no margin of error. Most members agreed that the risks were not worth the consequences.
At first they were disappointed that I didn't do a hands on demonstration, but I explained that since we were meeting at WoodCraft Store, that I did not feel that I should put then in a liable situation and stink up their store to boot,maybe setting off alarms and having a visit from the fire department.
At the end of the presentation I was approached by a member wanting to buy the unit since I was not going to do anymore of this type of woodburning, and he had 2 small 8 & 10 yo. boys tagging along, I refused to do that , I could never sleep at night if I did. another member approached me and I refused him also ,until he told me he was a licensed electrician and worked Hi voltage quite often and was also an Electrical Engineer. After taking to him and confirming in my mind he is what he says , I sold the unit to him, with the feeling that he knew enough to check out the specs and wire insulation stamp along with the UL label and said it was a well built unit.
I also found out that the gloves I was using were not rated ClassII but only for 500v. Class II hi voltage gloves start about $180 and above. Mine only cost $30 and were rated class 00. (That made me wipe my brow).

Herb
We are lucky to have you with us Herb & pleased you wont be continuing this dangerous hobby any more.By the same token,you were pretty good at it from what I've seen.
+1 as Stick 486 & others said "KUDOS to you"! Jamesjj

1 - 9 of 9 Posts