Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to woodworking. I started small making tables and floating shelves, and am now working on making a new kitchen table. I've been looking at pawn shops and Craigslist for affordable tools, and recently happened on a router table and router. I went to the shop, and the person sold me a Porter Cable router table with a Porter Cable router. As we talked, he went to a cabinet and grabbed a second Porter Cable router and said it was broken, but I could have it or use it for parts for the first router.

I took it home and looked at it. First, I noticed that the power cable had been nicked exposing the wires on all three conductors. I purchased a new 690 power cord and installed it. When I plugged it in and turned it on, it ran for about a second, and it shut off. I may have heard a soft pop.

I then checked both brushes, and found one of them broken. I ordered new carbon brushes and installed them today. When I plugged it in and turned it on again, the same thing happened. It ran for a second and then shut off. Both brushes look fine now. I do not see any type of fuse, and the breaker for the circuit is on. I'm wondering if it is the switch. I tried turning it off and on, but it does not try to start or run. Has anyone had any experience like this? I don't want to dump a bunch of money into this, however if there is an inexpensive fix, I'd love to have a router attached to the table and one to use. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not feel that I am in over my head. Replacing a cord and brushes is easy. I'm just trying to find out is something else simple could be causing the problem such as a bad switch (if it had lots of dust in it from being mounted upside down in the router table).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.