Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I inherited a Rockler router table with a Craftsman router mounted underneath. I'm having trouble with the split shaft collet and the bits. Even when I loosen the nut completely off, I still cannot remove the bit. And when I eventually pull hard enough, the bit and collet both come off with it. I'm kind of a router newbie so I may be missing something. The one time I got everything set and started routing, the bit popped out! Any advice would be appreciated - thanks

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome to the forums N/A...

time for a replacement collet and or some serious maintenance...
you being new and all... can we suggest you head over to this link for some very useful information...

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
It sounds like the collet might have been squeezed with no bit in it but some of Sears older routers were bad for that too. The steel in them may not have been springy enough.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, TImbo...yup...sounds like a new collet is in order...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know it is hard to do,but I did it long ago ,was give up on the Craftsman routers, get a bosch,you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Just saying,
Herb
+1 Herb - my Bosch is a sweet tool. I took the hint and cleaned out my collets with some WD-40 and compressed air. They were fine before but now I don’t worry...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
+1 Herb - my Bosch is a sweet tool. I took the hint and cleaned out my collets with some WD-40 and compressed air. They were fine before but now I don’t worry...
do yourself a favor and throw away the WD...
and don't use it on a collet any more...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
GO WD40...OOPS... I meant Harbor Freight.
HErb
so you support the Chinese..
this is good to know w/ all that's going 'n all...
we need to watch our backs.. eh..

·
Registered
508 Posts
do yourself a favor and throw away the WD...
and don't use it on a collet any more...

Bosch collets don’t disassemble. Just gotta clean ‘em and blow dry anything out of them. They were still clean - I just got a little bored.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Bosch collets don’t disassemble. Just gotta clean ‘em and blow dry anything out of them. They were still clean - I just got a little bored.
just don't us WD...

·
Registered
508 Posts
just don't us WD...
You’re really stuck on this WD thing, Stick, aren’t ya? It’s not an issue with me...

FYI - I spent 4 hours in the shop and made a dovetail box using my Sommerfeld jig and Bosch 1617, etc. Two bit changes. Results were perfect. No problems.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
You’re really stuck on this WD thing, Stick, aren’t ya? It’s not an issue with me...

FYI - I spent 4 hours in the shop and made a dovetail box using my Sommerfeld jig and Bosch 1617, etc. Two bit changes. Results were perfect. No problems.
just think..
the WD message has now gotten out to the readership...
compliments to for bringing up the subject...

·
Registered
310 Posts
just don't us WD...

So what exactly is the problem with it? Inquiring minds..... well, mine anyway.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
?? What, MSDS? I use it for suntan lotion, deodorant and it takes glue off my fingers..... and a room deodorizer.
that's fine..
just keep it out of the shop and off of your tools...
no MSDS's posted... see post #9...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts