Router Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Larry.

I understand why the switch being off would make a difference. The router will not go up all the way unless the switch is off ( a safety feature).

If the safety window was closed that should fix that.

The only thing I can suggest, as someone else pointed out, is to make sure your depth stop plunge has not come loose.

· Registered
2 Posts
Looks like this thread will continue until Triton makes some changes to the design of the very popular router. I like mine but ran into the old "can't raise the spindle enough to lock or unlock the collet.
The solution that worked for me provided immediate relief. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. Listed below is not my idea but credit where credit is due - Andy wrote the solution and even included part number although his solution only take a minute to unscrew the spring cover, clean out the sawdust, and screw the cap back. No need to buy new parts. Thanks Andy

"SOLVED, found the culprit. Check the spring cover I'll bet that it is packed with saw dust, mine had about a table spoon of compacted material preventing the spindle lock from engaging. Hope this helps in your case as well.

Triton part numbers...
8 TRA 070 Screw, Rack Post Cap
9 TRA 342 Cap, Rack Post
Andy
Attachments

· Official Greeter
20,564 Posts
G'day @ronkan , welcome to the forum.

Will check that with my 2 Triton routers, although I have never had that issue in 15 yrs.....

Not sure from that picture, but the spring has to be removed from the router for table use. This is in Triton's instructions. Just have to remember where I stored the springs...LOL
Furniture Table Gas Folding table Outdoor table

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi James,
Thanks for the welcome.
My Triton is only about three years old and has been mounted in a table the whole time.
I removed the spring as directed by Triton.
Never had a problem changing bits until today.
Very happy to find the solution in this forum.

· Registered
1 Posts
My table mounted Triton has the same problem of the automatic spindle lock not engaging. In this case, the tip of the metal pin that springs into the collet stop is not engaging all the way, only just a bit. Then trying to use the wrench it just pops loose and makes bit changes very difficult. I've found that I can use an awl in place of the pin, but it's very difficult to do. Does anyone think replacing the spindle lock spring would help? And where could I get one? Thanks

· Registered
23,212 Posts
Hi Dylan,

Have you done the suggestions in this old string? It covers a lot of possible issues, most of which have to do with sawdust getting into the works. Top of the table dust collection is a pretty important element of woodworking with any power tool, particularly if you wood isn't really dry.

None of the posts in this string mention sawdust collection, although sawdust in the works seems to be an issue. So once you find the cure from this very informative string, and you don't have a sawdust collection setup in your fence, above the table, it would be a good thing. I have a Triton that's been trouble free for a long time, but I have a strong Dust collection setup. It also helps to have your router plate inserts close in size to the diameter of the bit, less room for sawdust to get below the table where most of the mischief gets done. I popped for a Woodpecker mounting plate, extra thick aluminum with twist lock inserts, then bought their set of inserts with openings from very small to very large.

Output device Rectangle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Audio equipment

This is a behind the fence dust port. Cheap from any of the woodworking stores. You can hook up a 2.5 inch flex hose to it, then run that into a Dust Deputy cyclone cone. Below: To me is the minimum for dust collection in a small shop. To not at least have something like this is endangering your health. Those microscopic bits of sawdust lodge forever in your lungs. And some wood species ARE carcinogenic.

Drinkware Liquid Fluid Wood Audio equipment

This setup requires a large Shop Vac and about $100 for the cone, bucket and hoses. Buy all parts from the same supplier, there is no universal standard on dimensions.

This is by far the best trouble shooting string for Triton that has been posted. I'm saving the link for next time.

BTW, welcome. Sounds like you've been at woodworking for awyile.

· Official Greeter
20,564 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dylan...

· Registered
160 Posts
My table mounted Triton has the same problem of the automatic spindle lock not engaging. In this case, the tip of the metal pin that springs into the collet stop is not engaging all the way, only just a bit.
I would remove the router from the table and strip down the router base and give it a good clean out. I suspect that you have dust in the recess that the pin is in which is starting to cause the pin to bind. I doubt that your issue is dust buildup in the motor or tubes as that normally prevents you raising the motor and collet enough for the pin to engage. In your case, as the pin is starting to engage but not fully entering the locking hole, suggesting that the pin itself is binding. A stronger spring might force the pin in for a short while, but the binding force would continue to increase with the amount of dust until either the problem reoccurs, or worse still the pin is jambed in the extended position and won't retract.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts