Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while attempting to use an upcut spiral bit to route 3/4 inch dogholes in a bench top, i'm having problems with the bit binding and creating quite a mess. are there any tricks to this?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI babates

Are you doing it free hand or you using a brass guide and a template ?

=====

while attempting to use an upcut spiral bit to route 3/4 inch dogholes in a bench top, i'm having problems with the bit binding and creating quite a mess. are there any tricks to this?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi babates

That's your error,, make a template and use the brass guide, then your job will come out just the way you want it.

below you will see some charts how to select the right guide..

The best way I have found to setup the spacing is to use some hardboard (peg board) with the 1/4" holes in it..and use it to make the template...

Just use a hole saw and punch out the holes to fit the guide you are going to use,, don't remove( drill out) the holes on the ends of your template, use them to line up the template,just set it in place drill two 1/4" holes and put in some pins/bolts this will keep your template true, then just drop the guide in the holes and route the holes out...I would suggest using a 1" guide with a 1/2" or 3/8" bit to get the job done..put your vac.pickup on your router to suck out the chips.. :)

=========

free hand

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,937 Posts
These two shots show how simple the procedure is. To calculate the size of hole in the template, diameter of template guide minus diameter of cutter plus size of required routed hole. With the guide and cutter combination shown, and assuming a 2.5" hole is required, then: 3/4" - 1/4" + 2.5" = 3" hole in template, it's as simple as that.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Harry

Did you view the video above ? :), that's a neat way to get the job done no math needed at all , no guide needed, no template needed so to speak, just a hole in a board so the base of the router can just drop into place...

Many don't have BRASS guides or steel ones...

What did you think of that video ? that's right up your alley ... :)

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_plung.html

#7755 3/4" 1" 1/2" 1-1/2" $12.50

======

These two shots show how simple the procedure is. To calculate the size of hole in the template, diameter of template guide minus diameter of cutter plus size of required routed hole. With the guide and cutter combination shown, and assuming a 2.5" hole is required, then: 3/4" - 1/4" + 2.5" = 3" hole in template, it's as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Hi,

I was going to suggest just using a 3/4" straight bit but, I see Bj already has with the link he provided. :)

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,937 Posts
I must confess that I hadn't watched the video and didn't realise that the holes were only 3/4". I don't however think that my post will be wasted as it shows how much larger holes can be easily routed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts