Router Forums banner

Do you program in any computer languages?

• I sure do!

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Nope

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Huh.. where am I?

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Whats a computer?

Votes: 3 10.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd question for the topic of this forum but, does any RouterForums.com community members program?

When I ask that I mean, computer languages, such as: C++, C#, PHP, ASM, CSS, Javascript, J#, Pascal, Fortran 77 :D etc...

If so, tell me about it!!!

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Mark, I still have my Atari 400 in the attic... (Gosh I miss dialing the Great Lakes BBS) I quit after PEEKing and POKEing for a couple weeks. Now the only things I program say OMRON or FANUC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been doing C# for a year, C++ for the 12 years prior, and C, COBOL, and various other languages like LISP, PROLOG, and Pascal when in college. Great occupation, but not dangerous enough, which is why I like to either make models with sharp little knives or use power tools with fast spinning cutters.

Don

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,782 Posts
Long time ago, on z80's, and other simple processors. Now mainly industrial programmable logic controllers. (surprisingly they speak a lot like the old 'basic' languages, lots of if/then/else commands)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I used to do some programming in RPG, Basic and HP Basic (we're talking quite a while ago) but no longer. I do some LISP routines for Autocadd but not sure that counts here.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used to build and manage web sites. So PHP, Java, javascript, ...stuff like that. I do not like Microsoft web servers and won't use them so I never got into .asp stuff. I have now divested myself of all of that. The only web site I play with now is my own and the one from here at work where I mostly serve as mentor to someone who actually does the work. :)

Now I find more pleasure in working with wood, building and flying radio controlled airplanes, painting, making wooden flutes (native american style) .. and of course my latest "assignment" of remodeling a bathroom that is currently entering its third month in progress. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I did a little Pascal, Fortran but mostly various versions of BASIC. I've dabbled a little in C but not enough to qualify me as a programmer. Building web pages, yes....but mostly using HTML in conjunction with DreamWeaver. It's all fun but it's not a job anymore.....more a hobby.....I like it better that way......

·
2,392 Posts
Mark said:
Odd question for the topic of this forum but, does any RouterForums.com community members program?

When I ask that I mean, computer languages, such as: C++, C#, PHP, ASM, CSS, Javascript, J#, Pascal, Fortran 77 :D etc...

If so, tell me about it!!!
HTML, Javascript, Basic, PHP (studied; looks OK), Pascal, Turbo Basic, DB (like Foxpro), Cobol, RPG, SPS, Fortran IV, Autocoder, Assembly, Big OS, DOS, ... others have been forgotten... Over a period of about 45 years... :) :D

Javascript is the worst language I've used.
Cobol is my overall favorite for mainframes.
Foxpro is my favorite DB on PC's.
Basic on PC's is a fun workhorse.
HTML... fun by osmosis.
PHP... studied... Looks good... very flexible... like the way DB's can be used.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Well, well well Joe, you are a dark horse, I had a suspicion that you were cleverer than the average bear, what line of work were you in?

·
2,392 Posts
harrysin said:
Well, well well Joe, you are a dark horse, I had a suspicion that you were cleverer than the average bear, what line of work were you in?
Hi Harry,

Well, I was introduced to data processing in 1954, punched card stuff... what fun! If it wasn't IBM, it was trash! (was my main thought of the day).

Started at the bottom... accounting & bookeeping, keypunching, card jockey, wiring boards, designing & developing systems, got into programming... IBM 1401... what a wonderful new world!! Loved every bit of it all... Developed special unique systems, for its day, for 1401 & 360... Programmer, Systems Analyst, Sr. Sys. Analyst, Data Processing Manager, Controller, self employed consultant, got tired, got retired, got tired, and am still retired having fun with computers & woodworking... doing odd jobs now & then... web sites, spreadsheets, etc. I keep it simple... No more stress for this puppy!

That's it in a small nutshell...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.