Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I think Ken has gone off the deep end on house projects; but, at least I won't be able to say I'm bored around here.

Ken removed the dilapidated stockade fence along the one side of the house, and still working on the weeds-turned-into-trees, which I wish he had another man around here to help with that. While not large in diameter, they're pretty tall.

I wanted to get my front deck built; So, I got it all marked out, and started looking into the materials list, when it dawned on me: "Hey stupid. You can't build a deck until the house is painted-how the "f" are you gonna paint the house after the deck is built?!" So, my deck was put on hold, and the task of finding the colors for the house began. After 40+ hours, I didn't cry "uncle" I screamed it. Talk about having a paint color meltdown.... I got hold of a gf of mine who works for Exterior Painters and told her just that - "I'm not crying Uncle, I'm screaming it! PLEASE help! lol" She had me send her a picture of the house, and that very evening, she came by, with a whole stack of paint squares, and her and Ken went to work. I stood there, with my eyes still googly from staring at paint colors for the past week or more.

Ken found two shades of gray... (shown below.) Two days later, he picked the darker of the two (called Dover Gray) after my gf gave us a small sample of each they had at the shop. The next task was to find the contrast color, to go on the shutters (Which we/I am removing and remaking a different style). The gable of the house has to be replaced (since some dumbsh*t got too close to the wood with a power washer and gouged the h*ll out of the wood and it looks horrible.) We're thinking about doing the shaker cedar shingles, since it's a relatively small area. I had gone to PPG paint and gotten two or three books just before my gf came over that had paint splotches in them. I took some of those, and stuck them on the house (the second picture) and told Ken here were some colors for him to look at. Finally, there were only three finalists- Regatta Bay,Thyme Green, and Victory Blue. Ken then boiled it down to Victory Blue, or Regatta Bay.

So I go back to PPG, and get two sample quarts of the colors, and Ken and I each picked a shutter, and painted them. (The last picture.)

I'll let you guys guess which one Ken picked... :lol:

I have no idea what's happened to my decision making abilities, but I sure would like to find them lying around here somewhere. Good thing for Ken... I'd be completely lost!!!

Now mind you, the front of my house looks ridiculous, we're lucky enough to be getting a co-workers power washer this weekend to prep the house, and my loving, adorable, man-of-my-life husband decides he's going to start tearing down the BACK deck.... I would post a picture of the boards he's removed so far, but I don't have any.... Oy Vey! :lol: On a good note, looks like it's just the top 5/4 wood that will have to be replaced; looks like the bracing is in great shape.

P.S. This is how we spent our Anniversary Week.... Tuesday (16th) marked 30 years. Our "Pearl" Anniversary. Hard to believe; seems like only yesterday, but then, I can't remember when he wasn't with me. I'm a lucky woman to have him; in his eyes, I'm his whole world; he tells me numerous times a day he loves me, tells me I'm beautiful all the time, and can still make me feel like I did when we were dating... there's no price or value you can put on the love and attention he still shows after 30 years... He tells me how lucky he is to have me. I disagree... I'm the lucky one.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hi gang. I think Ken has gone off the deep end on house projects; but, at least I won't be able to say I'm bored around here.

Ken removed the dilapidated stockade fence along the one side of the house, and still working on the weeds-turned-into-trees, which I wish he had another man around here to help with that. While not large in diameter, they're pretty tall.

I wanted to get my front deck built; So, I got it all marked out, and started looking into the materials list, when it dawned on me: "Hey stupid. You can't build a deck until the house is painted-how the "f" are you gonna paint the house after the deck is built?!" So, my deck was put on hold, and the task of finding the colors for the house began. After 40+ hours, I didn't cry "uncle" I screamed it. Talk about having a paint color meltdown.... I got hold of a gf of mine who works for Exterior Painters and told her just that - "I'm not crying Uncle, I'm screaming it! PLEASE help! lol" She had me send her a picture of the house, and that very evening, she came by, with a whole stack of paint squares, and her and Ken went to work. I stood there, with my eyes still googly from staring at paint colors for the past week or more.

Ken found two shades of gray... (shown below.) Two days later, he picked the darker of the two (called Dover Gray) after my gf gave us a small sample of each they had at the shop. The next task was to find the contrast color, to go on the shutters (Which we/I am removing and remaking a different style). The gable of the house has to be replaced (since some dumbsh*t got too close to the wood with a power washer and gouged the h*ll out of the wood and it looks horrible.) We're thinking about doing the shaker cedar shingles, since it's a relatively small area. I had gone to PPG paint and gotten two or three books just before my gf came over that had paint splotches in them. I took some of those, and stuck them on the house (the second picture) and told Ken here were some colors for him to look at. Finally, there were only three finalists- Regatta Bay,Thyme Green, and Victory Blue. Ken then boiled it down to Victory Blue, or Regatta Bay.

So I go back to PPG, and get two sample quarts of the colors, and Ken and I each picked a shutter, and painted them. (The last picture.)

I'll let you guys guess which one Ken picked... :lol:

I have no idea what's happened to my decision making abilities, but I sure would like to find them lying around here somewhere. Good thing for Ken... I'd be completely lost!!!

Now mind you, the front of my house looks ridiculous, we're lucky enough to be getting a co-workers power washer this weekend to prep the house, and my loving, adorable, man-of-my-life husband decides he's going to start tearing down the BACK deck.... I would post a picture of the boards he's removed so far, but I don't have any.... Oy Vey! :lol: On a good note, looks like it's just the top 5/4 wood that will have to be replaced; looks like the bracing is in great shape.

P.S. This is how we spent our Anniversary Week.... Tuesday (16th) marked 30 years. Our "Pearl" Anniversary. Hard to believe; seems like only yesterday, but then, I can't remember when he wasn't with me. I'm a lucky woman to have him; in his eyes, I'm his whole world; he tells me numerous times a day he loves me, tells me I'm beautiful all the time, and can still make me feel like I did when we were dating... there's no price or value you can put on the love and attention he still shows after 30 years... He tells me how lucky he is to have me. I disagree... I'm the lucky one.
Happy anniversary Barbie & Ken,hope you found something more fun than painting to do on your special day/week.All the best,James jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Happy anniversary to you Barb and Ken.....

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Happy Anniversary...it's the projects keeping you guys young...but it's the love that keeps you guys happy...both of you are truly blessed...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Barb,

Be happy that you have projects galore. I have finished the last of the major projects at our CO home and am bored bored, bored. I need to repaint inside and out before we put the house on the market but that is 2 years away when the wife retires from teaching.

I have moved most of my woodworking tools to my son's place in GA. We will be doing a partial move to our house there in late June and I can setup my new wood shop in the 700+ sq. ft. unfinished walkout basement. We have a nice long list of projects we want to do to that home and surrounding 2.4 acres and I can't wait to get started on those and am so excited to finally have a permanent shop to work from after 28 years of sharing a 2 car garage.

Happy 30th.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy anniversary! I like the bottom right shutter (regatta?)
That's the one Ken picked, Paul :smile:
As did our daughter, and about 6 other people :lol: the blue didn't look right up against the gray; too much purple in it, Ken said.

Reactions: TenGees and MEBCWD

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everybody. Nope, that's all we did for "Our Week." (Well, almost ;) )
Supposed to get the power washer tomorrow, but Ken got the opportunity to work tomorrow, so the power washer may have to wait. (Painting, as well may have to wait; will have to watch and see what happens.)

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Happy anniversary Barb and Ken. You guys have more energy going than I do , but I cheer you on. Sounds like you have enough projects for the next 30 years. Save some of those old boards for your sign work.
Herb

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Happy anniversary Barb and Ken. When you get yours painted mine will be waiting.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
A belated happy anniversary. If you can agree on a house color you can agree on most anyhting. look forward ott he psots of the finished paint.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Happy anniversary Barb and Ken. When you get yours painted mine will be waiting.
Yeah, Mike. I'll get back to you on that. :lol:

The painting shouldn't be too bad, since Kens' boss wants him to use the power painter he bought (and spent a lot of money on) just to use it once, to paint his pole barn. Ken was balking at using it, because he didn't want to have to cover and tape everything, but with the cardboard pieces I can get from work, that should also cut down that chore considerably.

I'm also playing with shutter designs. I don't like the ones we have, and it looks like these are rough-cut pieces someone got from a lumber mill or something; they didn't finish them. As many people know, I do nothing right off the shelf. I'm thinking of getting either the decorative "buttons" to put on there, or the faux hinges, and putting a solar sconce on the two shutters next to the livingroom window. (Similar to the picture below, minus the planter box) while leaving the shutters with just the "hardware" on the second set of shutters (which are on a bedroom window.)

We're holding off on the shingles on the gable till probably next year; can't afford to do everything, and with Ken getting more of the back deck torn up yesterday, that just mandated the deck to be repaired. (According to my math, I'm looking at roughly $200 for the shingles.) We've decided, instead, to fill in some of the gouges on the current wood (looks like tongue-in-grove pine, I was told, when I saw that each row had a seam in it) and paint over it until next year.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts