Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Since winter is upon some of us. Brrrr. Can you tell me the best way to protect my machinery from the cold? My jointer has already got rust on it in the last couple of weeks. I clean it with kerosene and it's a big job and I don't really ever get off ALL the brown stuff. What can I put on the jointer bed and fence to keep it from getting yucky? What about other tools such as the router, planer, table saw? I want to keep them all in good shape.

Thanks
~Julie~

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Julie, if your tools are rusting, you are not using them enough! :D :D :D
The Honeymoon is over,get back to the shop. :D :D :D Glad to see you're back on line.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Julie, I use 0000 steel wool and WD40 on my table tops.After that i use mineral spirits.The last thing I do is a couple of good coats of Johnsons Paste wax.Any good paste wax that does not contain silcone will work.I've heard tell that products that contain silicone will really screw up the wood for finishing.If I were you I would tell "New Hubby" that he is the one to keep all the woodworking tools shining.If he objects tell him he didn't read the fine print. ;) ;) HTH.

John

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
hellow julie: congratulations again, now what i find that works for the light surface rust that you have would be to take scotch brite (red) and wrap it around a flat block of wood , tack it in place then spray entire surface with WD40. now rub over the surface with the block of scotch brite, wipe clean and repeat as needed until the top is clean of the surface rust.
after that to prvent the surface rust from atacking the sufaces again i spray the tops with WD40 and wipe it over the surface with cloth folded. for the first time i use the cloth i treat the cloth with the WD40 because i use the same cloth to wipe down the tables every time i finish at the end day /night. ALWAYS WIPE THE TOPS OFF WITH A CLEAN DRY CLOTH BEFOR YOU USE THE MACHINE. you could attach the scotch brite to an old elctrict finishing sander. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, you are helpful AND funny.

Dr. Zook.... at least I'M not rusting!!! The honeymoon isn't over yet. Actually in Dec. we are driving to Arizona, two week honeymoon. No woodworking!

John, new hubby can't be in charge of keeping the woodworking tools shiny, he doesn't know how or what they are. He laughed at me yesterday when I said something about my "sliding compound mitre saw" and then I said "dado blades" and he had no clue what I was talking about. So if I asked him to clean the planer, he wouldn't know which machine it was. Lol.

So, I'll get out the WD40. And I'll get some paste wax.

~Julie~

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Julie; glad to hear you are not rusting! All that scotch brite and WD40 would be rough on your complection. :D ;) :) You have a SAFE drive to Arizona and back.
P.S. only motorheads use WD40 for anti-deoderent! :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts