Router Forums banner

Protective guard

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Knothead47 
#1 ·
Hi, guys.

Please, give me some advise to repair my miter saw´s protective guard. Some pictures are attached.

Thanking you in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have an old Makita chop saw and it never came with a guard. You have to adopt a different attitude when you run it. There is nothing but you and the saw as soon as you pull that trigger until the blade stops turning.

Reactions: neville9999
#4 ·
I like Herb's idea...

The thickness of the metal you would use would depend on how easy it would be to wrap it around the spring hub. You could also use washers and spacers to mimick the post at the pivot point.

I've never had luck using "liquid steel" on plastic although a two part epoxy might work.

If you go with Herb's idea, I would mount it on the outside...you might be able to span over the spring hub...sort of a triangle piece of metal making the pivot point and riveting it to the stronger part of the plastic on the other side of the hub. Spacers will likely be needed to get over the hub. If there is room, add a small washer on the business end of the rivet...it will help to prevent cracking the plastic when squeezing the rivet...

Good luck....

Reactions: Herb Stoops
#8 ·
Alexis,

Check out the Weld-On line of products and see if they have one that might work. I have used Weld-On for fabricating and repairing acrylic based projects and it forms a very strong bond.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.