Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Gotcha. I'm not sure if we have those here in western Pa, I've never seen them at the local lumber yards or at tractor supply.

Being they are treated aren't you concerned with painting them without letting them age? I own a sign shop and we've always been told not to pain treated 4x4 posts until they have weathered about 6 months

Gary

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotcha. I'm not sure if we have those here in western Pa, I've never seen them at the local lumber yards or at tractor supply.

Being they are treated aren't you concerned with painting them without letting them age? I own a sign shop and we've always been told not to pain treated 4x4 posts until they have weathered about 6 months

Gary
This is true if you paint and seal the whole board. I'm only sealing the carved side. Everything else is raw. To be honest, this is the first time I'm trying this so time will tell.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks good I really like the finish on the 3d carving. What technique did you do? Paint & sand, dry brush or something else?

The only think I would change is I would edit the words so they fit the curve of the banner a little better but that is just my OCD sign guy coming out.

Gary

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good I really like the finish on the 3d carving. What technique did you do? Paint & sand, dry brush or something else?

The only think I would change is I would edit the words so they fit the curve of the banner a little better but that is just my OCD sign guy coming out.

Gary
I hear ya about the text. I thought it looked good on screen but final product was a little off. Dang, why did you say that... lol
Very little sanding after using a .0625 tapered ballmill. Brushed one layer70/30 lacquer/thinner, dry, sprayed with Krylon matte black, let dry for about 3/5 min. and wiped with blue shop towels using pure thinner until I got the look I wanted. I hope it holds up. I'm working on another piece now from PT.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Three pieces of 2 x 6 PTL glued together with Tite Bond Ultimate. Skimmed, carved, and sanded. I think they used deck sealer on the front of it and fastened it to an outside wall. A replica of one that was two generations old and rotted away. It actually was pretty good wood to work with.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
I like the sign, but wouldn't touch pressure treated wood for woodworking. Too much nasty there for me.

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Cary just make sure you are not breathing any of the dust produced because the chemicals used to treat the wood are very toxic.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Gary
Gary, if you pay a little more, you can get KDAT. YellaWood says:

Wood that is KDAT, or Kiln Dried After Treatment, provides many advantages. YellaWood®️ brand KDAT materials give you the appearance of composite with the natural beauty and character of real wood. Dried to its original moisture content in a controlled environment, the wood dries evenly to minimize the natural tendency of freshly treated lumber to shrink, cup or warp.

Joe.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Three pieces of 2 x 6 PTL glued together with Tite Bond Ultimate. Skimmed, carved, and sanded. I think they used deck sealer on the front of it and fastened it to an outside wall. A replica of one that was two generations old and rotted away. It actually was pretty good wood to work with.
Of course a Polish Eagle, LOL. Are you sure you are spelling the names correctly?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Of course a Polish Eagle, LOL. Are you sure you are spelling the names correctly?
Yup. I check and double check. Heck, I'm starting to even be able to pronounce them close to correct.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.