Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I just purchased this CNC router, it's from CNC router parts and was purchased as a kit and assembled by the previous owner. Has a 2.2kW water cooled spindle and a cutting area of 24" X 36" and has Masso controllers. It also came with dust collection via a shop vac and a lubricant mysting system for cutting metals. He threw in a 70 pc CNC router bit set as well as a few other bits. Still have to run a 220V outlet in my shop and purchase some design software before I can use it. Right now I'm looking at VCarve pro, and even considering Aspire. I've looked at Fusion 360 as well but I don't like the yearly fee. Will probably download the free versions and try them out first. I've run a CNC water jet cutter before so I'm familiar with the concept however I've never run a CNC router, any tips, tricks or advice is certainly welcome. Ready to get this thing fired up..

Attachments

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,358 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your profile to clear the N/a in the side panel and so we'll know what to call you. Add your location, as well.

Fusion 360 is free to hobbyists and start-up business earning less than $100k per year (sadly, I qualify :grin:). What are you planning (primarily) to cut with your new CNC?

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your profile to clear the N/a in the side panel and so we'll know what to call you. Add your location, as well.

Fusion 360 is free to hobbyists and start-up business earning less than $100k per year (sadly, I qualify :grin:). What are you planning (primarily) to cut with your new CNC?

David
Added my info.. Is the free version the free trial they offer on their website? I only see that and the subscribe button. I plan to cut wood primarily however I would like to experiment with other materials, I have an idea for a lamp I'm wanting to make that will have the insignia of the Army unit i was in milled into it, that will most likely be my first serious project after learning to use it.

·
Registered
Rick
17,592 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase Jeff , will be watching your progress . I’m sure the bench top Avid cnc is more than capable.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,358 Posts
Added my info.. Is the free version the free trial they offer on their website?
Lars Christensen covered that within the last 3-4 months but here's a video showing how to sign up -

David

·
Registered
603 Posts
Is the free version the free trial they offer on their website?
Yes. At the end of the 30 day trial, you'll get an option for the free hobbyist subscription.
Be aware that Fusion 360 is a very different program than V Carve or Aspire. While they both can do many of the same things, they both have things that they do much better than the other.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats on the new CNC. I have experience on large Biesse CNC's but unfortunately, I don't know how that experience translates to these little ones. I would like to get one of these for and start making some with one though. I would love to see what you get this thing doing.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Welcome aboard Jeff. As you can see we do have some experienced CNC'ers to quarry. I've looked a bit online but haven't seriously considered anything yet. Have too much to learn with the power tools I already have. I will say that for those who haven't looked too deeply into CNC systems that not all realize the learning curve with the needed software to make these functional.

While I'm comfortable with AutoCAD I don't think 3D modeling software would be that easy to adapt to for me. Not saying it isn't doable just more than a bit of an effort which is fine if you go into it knowing that. And I just checked, my, local to me (Richmond, Va), Woodcraft has an Intro to CNC Class that probably would be a good starting point for those considering the CNC route(r).

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Jeff. Down load the trial versions of VCarve and Aspire so you can see how they work. I do recommend getting the free version of Fusion 360 so you can see the difference between it and the Vectric software.

Reactions: TF 160

·
Registered
297 Posts
i attended a 2 day "intro" to cnc class, but frankly learned more from the vectric tutorials than i did the class. then 6 months later or so, had the good fortune to learn from an experienced cnc'er, which also helped a bunch.

learning curve, yup! but certainly achievable!

welcome to this forum, i hope yo have great fun with your new machine!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok.. so I downloaded Fusion 360 and I purchased V Carve Pro.. Right now I'm setting up my tool library in VCarve and have a question about bits. What are these? They came with the machine and I have no idea what kind of tool these are or what you can cut with them. I'm also looking for a good source for speeds and feeds as well as spindle speeds, I've searched the forum and have found a few things but I thought I would ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
The first one is a 1/16” (.0625) diameter bit. 4 flutes is not usually used for wood (would have to use very high feed rates to have proper chip load). Just enter it as an end mill, make sure you enter the flute length.

2 & 3 are entered as “tapered ball nose” bits, usually used for 3D carves. They are much stronger and can carve deeper than a straight ball nose. #2 has a 2mm radius tip, #3 a 1mm. I have an excel spreadsheet I created to calculate the angle need when you enter it in your tool database (most of the Chinese bits don’t include all the required measurements).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone have any experience with Masso controllers or a VFD? I cant seem to get the spindle to start when i go to run a program.. They guy I purchased it from doesn't seem to want to help me get it running and I don't know what I'm doing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.