Router Forums banner

Purchased New Grizzly 14" Bandsaw, Vertical Arm Not Parallel to Blade

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  phaze3131 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a brand new grizzly 14" Grizzly G0555XH Bandsaw and it works great besides one thing I dislike very much after paying $1,500.

The problem is the vertical arm that is moved up and down depending on the height of the wood you are resawing, is not parallel to the blade.

So when the arm is raised high it can touch all the way on the left guide bearing, and lowered all the way down it can touch on the right bearing (with these bearings 1/2 inch apart).

Every time I have to move the arm I have to get out my hex wrench and readjust the guide bearings.

I called grizzly and asked them what can be done, and I was told basically there is no adjustment method to fix this and it should have been parallel from their factory and they are not sure why it isn't.

I was told I can put metal shims on the left side where the bottom and top are bolted together.

I have never done this before, seems fairly easy to do, but I can't understand how that will help, as the top blade wheel will be adjusted as the metal shim is shoved in there also. So the blade and the arm will both move, correct?

that does not solve the problem if they both move, will it? Curious how you guys would handle the situation?

would you do the shimming because that will somehow solve it?

would you call grizzly back and tell them it's just not acceptable after paying $1,500?

Would you suck it up and just accept you are forced to use your hex wrench over and over and over each day?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Send it back you bought it to do woodworking not repair it, be different if was a second or used article and you know it a head time
For 1500 dollars I do not believe it is your problem (,of coarse if they wanted to give you a substantial price cut )

#4 ·
As suggested call and ask for a replacement or clear instructions on how to remedy. If you can't or don't feel confident in doing the work then I would request a replacement or have them send a repair person to do the work. I had an issue where Laguna sent a local tech to my shop and did the inspection and work under warranty.

#7 ·
The bearing guides should not ride on the blade, but just barely kiss it. Upper and lower guide must both be set properly. Table tilt might be another issue so align the table with the blade AFTER you make sure the blade is free running first. You can also use an engineer's square to make sure the blade guard with the guides on it are are parallelml to the blade and 90 exactlty to the table. The bearing behind the blade should not press against the back of the blade except when it is running Are your blades running centered on the tire, supported just behind the gullet. Factory alignment is made with a solid steel jig, so unless there's been a substantial shock in shipping, it should be pretty close to exact. Use an engineer's square, not a speed square.

#8 ·
thank you all so much for your help, I spent 6 hours today playing the shimming game and that did not work, which made sense because the shimming is moving the blade along with the vertical arm, obviously.

I did the table work and squareness when I set it up to begin with. This problem only became an actual problem when I got tired of adjusting the guide bearings each time I moved the vertical arm.

I watched alex snodgrass bandsaw setup (google it) and that taught me so much about how to set it up. It did not discuss the problem I am facing because the bandsaws his company makes I bet to not leave the factory floor like this.

I own 2 machined squares that's how I made sure of the squareness. Tom you are the best, people don't thank you enough for your input, I value it, alot alot alot alot.

I will update here with what goes on after I contact Grizzly to see what they want to do.

Ty all so much so much!

Travis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.