Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building bat racks for the dugouts at my grandsons' ball fields. They are essentially 12, 3" x 12" PVC pipes attached to two 2x3 treated boards that then hang from the chain link fence. Very basic project except for the awful PVC shavings and dust! It is super static charged and sticks to everything. I have a good dust collector (1 1/2 hp Jet) that works well for wood dust and shavings but this stiff flies everywhere, sticks to the outside of the DC hose as much as it goes through it, and has made a mess of my shop.
HELP!
What do commercial shops or smarter amateurs than me do to control this problem? Is there something you can spray on the pipe to reduce the static? These racks have proven very popular and I have been asked to do 4 more but am reluctant to go ahead after just finally getting the last mess cleaned up.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use PVC as molds for some of my turning projects. It does make a mess, but I just take the time vacuum after cutting. I know of no magic bullet for combating the static. You might want to try wiping the PVC with a dryer anti-static sheet prior to cutting, Might help.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You might try cutting with an abrasive disk to melt your way through. I used to use one in the table saw when cutting sheets of Styrofoam which also likes to make a lot of particulate that sticks to everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts