Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new Dewalt 618 router with the plunge base. When I unboxed it, I noticed that something was loose inside the housing. Unwantingly I opened the top plastic housing with the 3 screws and sure enough there was a broken scew head and tiny broken piece of plastic. I searched everywhere and it doesn't seem to be missing from MY router, but then again I did not disassembled the whole thing. After that the router seems to be working fine except that I do notice a LOT of sparks inside the casing (where the screw head was broken and lose).
Whats wrong with quality control at Dewalt?
Is a Lot of sparks normal?
Could this screwhead somehow damage my motor?
Shoul I return it and get a new one?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I ended up with a DeWalt sander with a stripped out screw in the bottom. Took it back to Lowes the following week and they handed me a new sander. High production rates in automation cause this. That's what warranties are for. Quality control typically takes one or two completed units randomly out of the day's production and thoroughly inspects it. They can't inspect every one. If they find problems, they stop production, fix the offending source, and rework those out of the day's production that had that same problem. Again, they don't, and can't, inspect every one.

Charley

·
Premium Member
19,019 Posts
I'm not much of a fan of DeWalt power tools. Their 18v system works well, but everything else I've tried was a little cheesy. DeWalt after its purchase by Stanley, seems not to be as well made, but it's not the first company to sell and have its brand exploited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. This was an amazon purchase. I no doubt think that they will replace/reimburse I just didn't wanted to wait another week. I got a project I need to bust out. Thank you for your comment.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hello N/A and welcome to the forums...
We're happy you found us...

this sounds like a return...
yes, the screw head somehow very likely damaged your motor....
and sparks are not like you experienced are a sign of severe issues...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
BIG fan of Dewalt tools myself, I've managed to make a decent living using them for the last 25 years with very few complaints. Batteries don't seem to have the lifespan I"d expect and the battery driven circular saw....well, lets just say thats the ONLY Dewalt tool I don't like...

Sounds as if you managed to get one that slipped through the cracks. Return it, don't take any chances on either destroying the tool beyond repair or worse yet...personal injury

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Thank you. This was an amazon purchase. I no doubt think that they will replace/reimburse I just didn't wanted to wait another week. I got a project I need to bust out. Thank you for your comment.
Thats a bummer, Mario on a new tool to do that. It might have been caused during shipping too. They are pretty rough sometimes handling boxes.
By all means take it back get a new one,or another brand. If it is compatible to HD in price, and you need one right now , maybe a good place to replace it. I like to order from Amazon, but it takes a bit to return things. Maybe they will send you a new one right away. But don't take a chance using it.
Maybe that nice little Chinese Communist fellow fell off the pedals inside.
Just saying.
Herb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello N/A and welcome to the forums...
We're happy you found us...

this sounds like a return...
yes, the screw head somehow very likely damaged your motor....
and sparks are not like you experienced are a sign of severe issues...
Thank you, yes. I have requested a return and they're sending me a new one. I still have to send them this one. I think it will take less than I expected. Hopefully the new one will be ok.
Thank you all for responding so quick. I'm loving this forum already!

·
Registered
44 Posts
What brand(s) do you prefer?

I'm not much of a fan of DeWalt power tools. Their 18v system works well, but everything else I've tried was a little cheesy. DeWalt after its purchase by Stanley, seems not to be as well made, but it's not the first company to sell and have its brand exploited.
D.R. Tom,

I've been a Bosch user mostly and have been wondering if I should veer toward Dewalt, but lately there has been a lot of good talk about Milwaukee power tools.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Kenn; Are you having issues with your Bosch tools? If not, why do you want to make a brand switch, other than to maybe buy something unique to a different brand.
Honestly, I'm not trying to be argumentative here; I'm genuinely curious as to why you're off Bosch. :)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Hey, Kenn; Are you having issues with your Bosch tools? If not, why do you want to make a brand switch, other than to maybe buy something unique to a different brand.
Honestly, I'm not trying to be argumentative here; I'm genuinely curious as to why you're off Bosch. :)

Good point...as they say in Lower Shoplovia "If it ain't broke, don't fix it til it is"

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mario.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I am not mentally locked into only buying just one brand, but I do stick with the better brands like DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, etc. Some brands have better saws, some have better routers, etc. Sticking to just one brand because of battery type is a good idea, but I have both DeWalt and Milwaukee brands of battery operated tools now. I have DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita corded circular saws, and a DeWalt 18 volt circular saw, but most of my other 18 volt battery operated tools are DeWalt too. I just buy whichever brand seems to have all of the features that I'm most comfortable with of these better brands.

I did hear once when DeWalt and Porter Cable were coming under one owner, that they had decided to make the DeWalt tools the higher quality and Porter Cable the lower end more economical tools and slightly cheaper tools. Since then, I haven't bought any Porter Cable tools, but recently I've noticed that this price/quality reduction doesn't seem to have happened, so I may again consider accepting a Porter Cable tool into my herd, if it offers what I am looking for and "feels right" in my hands. Most of my routers are DeWalt, because they had the lower weight and balance of what I looked at, and they "felt right" in my hands. The DW618 proved to be the most versatile, so a 3 base kit ended up in my truck and another in the shop. The third DW618 two base kit came from a friend who was getting out of woodworking, and I got it more as a spare than anything, since I knew it had only been used a couple of times. I no longer own any Ryobi tools. Their spare parts prices and poor service drove me away.

Charley

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had a DeWalt 618 full 3-base kit for years with no issues. Sorry you got a lemon.
I'm not a heavy user, just a hobbyist. I've also had great success with Bosch tools, but they are more expensive up front.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dewalt is actualy owned by Black and Decker they also bought Porta Cable , Delta and Oldem who used to make Viper router bits and also craftsman It seems after they bought the companys the quality goes down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
D.R. Tom,

I've been a Bosch user mostly and have been wondering if I should veer toward Dewalt, but lately there has been a lot of good talk about Milwaukee power tools.
You do know that Milwaukee produces its tools in China
I don’t buy Chinese if I can help it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick Update: My replacement got here yesterday and sure enough it works PERFECT! I'm so glad that I replaced it! The new router doesn't spark inside the housing at all! I'm used to seeing some arc (sparks) inside the housing of the motor but this one works seamlessly!
Thank you all for all of your support, comments and welcoming messages!
This is the most active/helpful forum I've been!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not surprised about the condition. DeWalt was manufactured, many years ago, in Easton, Maryland, U.S.A. Black and Decker moved the plant to Mexico and put 600 people out of work. Al least it wasn't made in China.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts