Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setting up my table. Instructions say to replace the "standard large-hole sub-base" with the "accessory sub-base (Fig. 4B)." The picture shows a dark sub-base with six round holes surrounding a smallish center hole for the bit.

Well nothing like this came with the router kit, and I am clueless:confused:.

I have also sent this question to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
For table use, the thick standard sub-base is usually replaced with a much thinner plate., usually rectangular in shape.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,902 Posts
the small hole sub base is the one that holds porter cable standard sized guide bushings. The large hole sub base I think is clear.

If you're going to table mount the router, as Ralph said you'll usually need an aftermarket router plate like the Oak-Park, Harbor Freight or Rosseau.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Closer reading of the fine print and a call to PC have clarified that I do mount the base to the plate directly, UNLESS I am using guide bushings. I think I am not using those yet. So I am mounting metal to metal. Now to find two slightly shorter mounting screws.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Carol, please don't feel bad about not understanding. Confusion is common wih all the changes PC has gone through with the 890 series routers. I suggest you install your motor in both bases and be sure they sit level and do not rock. Among the many problems encountered with this series of routers was the screws that hold the height adjusting rack to the motor housing shearing off, motors that were prone to catching fire, both the plunge base and fixed base had so many defective castings that PC scrapped both bases and designed new ones. The really sad part of this was maybe 40% of the routers were to specs and worked fine. So far everyone has been satisfied with the latest crop of 890 routers; PC did get it right in the end and they do offer free replacement base's (exchange) for the defective units that slipped through.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the "type 2," which I believe was made after the problem was addressed. Not finding the perfect screws, I ended up grinding about an eighth of an inch of length off the supplied ones using the grinding bit on my Dremel. The router, she is mounted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts