Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend asked me to carve this for him as an experiment. Its a meat carving board.

The lumber is hickory.

Has anyone carved something similar? And if so how did it work.

Potentially thinking of making one for myself but with different pattern and lumber (black walnut and maple).

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The diamond design is not so much to keep the meat from sticking to the board but to hold the meat while you are carving.

The diamonds start at the height of the board carve and then taper down to with the slope of the board. The slope is meant to catch all the yummy meat juices and dripping fat. :)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I love the idea! However, looking at the placement of the pyramids, I'm thinking I would move the pyramids over just a smidge one way or another (depending on if the person is right or left-handed.) Seems too centered. For me, it would need to go a smidge to the left, enough to hold the meat, and give me more carving room. I see me making mistakes, and the knife hitting the pyramids where they currently sit. I would want them a little more towards the back of the meat, so I'm not having to move the meat so often as to not hit those pyramids.

Reactions: gmercer_48083

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just my opinion but hickory would be one of the last woods I would select for a cutting board - its rather porous. But then maybe it can be sealed sufficiently.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, a porterhouse would be more my speed but a t-bone is awesome in a pinch. Followed by a well marbled ribeye. You can keep them filet mignon. Not enough bite for my taste.

Barb, The idea is to carve away without worrying about the pattern. You may slice into it but that shows it's a working tool and not a wall hanger.

Greg, I've never really worked with hickory so not familiar with it properties. I wasn't aware until recently that it was available locally either. May have to play with it at some point.

Making my own pattern is on my projects to do list. Unfortunately, the list is fairly long and it keeps getting bumped by whatever the misses is wanting at any time.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Barb, The idea is to carve away without worrying about the pattern. You may slice into it but that shows it's a working tool and not a wall hanger.

the list is fairly long and it keeps getting bumped by whatever the misses is wanting at any time.
Never-mind the pattern, I'm thinking of the damage to the pyramids and/or knife when you hit them (My Cutco knives would damage the pyramids. Cheap knives will dull their blades.) Gonna be a useless board, after sharp knives cut down those pyramids time after time of nicking it... then it WILL be a wall hanger. The design and use is amazing! I would LOVE one of those boards! I would just need a tad more working room, in my opinion, so the pyramids are safe from being chipped away.

LOL Yeah, Ken's personal To Do List tends to be set aside, as well, with my project desires

1 - 10 of 10 Posts