Router Forums banner

Question for Avid owners

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ger21 
#1 · (Edited)
The computer that has Mach 4 and runs the machine, is there any other software needed other than Windows 10? I don't plan to do anything with this computer but run the machine.

And, do I need 16 GB ram or is 8 enough?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the information guys. I would hope my computer is much better than a Dodge RAM. I had one and after a couple of years, it started literally falling apart.

I had a min-computer that I got from Amazon, a Lenovo mini with SSD but it only has 8GB ram and you literally have to disassemble the machine to add RAM and you have to replace both 4GB sticks with 8GB sticks and it was about $85 for the memory. Thus the cost of another machine (yes, my fault as I didn't look at the specs well enough) is cheaper than upgrading that one. I like the Amazon "send it back" policy. I'm going to stick with Windows 10 (even though I'm a MAC guy who thinks that windows is an abomination, but I have to use it for this stuff)

Thus begs another question. The Mach 4 website says that if you are going to do 3-D carving you need a non-integrated video card with 512 MB ram. Is that a firm need or just something that that might make it run smoother. I know that an integrated video card means that it is built into the motherboard, but I don't think that there is any huge video demand on the machine unless I am missing something.

I have a friend who gets machines that are replaced by businesses and he's saying that we can cannibalize and build something, but I'd almost like to get one of the mini computers that I can attach to the back of the monitor and not worry about having a separate tower machine to get in the way. But, just about all of the mini computers have an integrated video card, thus my question.

Sorry to be splitting hairs on this stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.