Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I am hoping someone in this forum may be able to help me?

Edit: *Problem solved * I took a chance on DeWalt replacement part # 285945-00 Bushing that ended up being an exact fit. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have a hand me down old craftsman planer. Model 351233731 I have the owners manual and have recently replaced the blades. After doing so I noticed a lot of play on the outfeed roller. So after disassembling I found the retaining bracket had wallowed out. I found the part from sears # 3843.00 After several google searches I think I am looking for a part that seems to be discontinued? I am wondering if anyone has run across a compatible part for sears Craftsman retaining bracket 3843.00? It is a squared block 1 in long 15/16 wide and 7/8 deep with a 5/8 in hole for the outfeed roller. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time. R

·
Official Greeter
19,972 Posts
Welcome to the forum, @Rafaelb

Could you make a larger hole for the outfeed roller, and insert a brass sleeve?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
James,

Thank for the welcome and your reply.
Great suggestion. Unfortunately in my case I don't believe there is enough meat to drill out to insert a brass sleeve. When they made the part the side walls being as thin as they are would prevent any real modification. I did try making a custom filler piece out of a machined piece of metal with out much success. After doing additional research I am currently waiting on some PC-7 to see if I have any success with it. I can't believe the number of google searches I did trying to find this piece. I have found it under other brands but none of them seem to have dimensions on the parts. I could easily modify a part if the dimensions are oversized but close. So I currently have questions out on different sites. In the mean time I am still on the hunt. Thanks so much for your valuable time. R

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a hand me down old craftsman planer. Model 351233731 I have the owners manual and have recently replaced the blades. After doing so I noticed a lot of play on the outfeed roller. So after disassembling I found the retaining bracket had wallowed out. I found the part from sears # 3843.00 After several google searches I think I am looking for a part that seems to be discontinued? I am wondering if anyone has run across a compatible part for sears Craftsman retaining bracket 3843.00? It is a squared block 1 in long 15/16 wide and 7/8 deep with a 5/8 in hole for the outfeed roller. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time. R
I had the same problem with a Sears Planer 351.233731 and couldn't find parts. I took a chance ordering new bushings for a Dewalt 733 as the exploded parts list looked very close. The bushings are an exact replacement and fit perfectly. I ordered SKU:285045-00-2PK from buckeyetoolsupply.com. There were less than $10. I also changed the chain drive as it had stretched. The chain is standard chain and I found them at my local tool supply store. They didn't have a master link so I had to remove the gears, assemble the chain on the gears and slide it back on the two shafts at the same time.

I haven't bought the drive rollers, but I'm 99% certain the Dewalt 733 is an exact match. It your shaft ends are worn and out of round I'd buy new drive rollers.

·
Official Greeter
19,972 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had the same problem with a Sears Planer 351.233731 and couldn't find parts. I took a chance ordering new bushings for a Dewalt 733 as the exploded parts list looked very close. The bushings are an exact replacement and fit perfectly. I ordered SKU:285045-00-2PK from buckeyetoolsupply.com. There were less than $10. I also changed the chain drive as it had stretched. The chain is standard chain and I found them at my local tool supply store. They didn't have a master link so I had to remove the gears, assemble the chain on the gears and slide it back on the two shafts at the same time.

I haven't bought the drive rollers, but I'm 99% certain the Dewalt 733 is an exact match. It your shaft ends are worn and out of round I'd buy new drive rollers.

Powersboy,
Thank you so much for the info. I will look into ordering the rollers as I am sure they could use replacing too. I took a chance also and ordered 285945-00 Bushing - Dewalt® which is the exact part number you referred to. I would rather have an actual replacement part instead of a repaired one any day. I just received them today and they are perfect replacements. I wanted to come back to the forum and let people know what I found.
I agree with you the parts from the DeWalt 733 look like they could be swap outs. I didn't have any problem with the chains but I will have to check again after replacing the bushing. The biggest problem I had was removing the screws that held the roller bushings retainer plates. I had to Dremel a deeper groove in them as they quickly striped out when I tried to remove them. Just an FYI. I did find after doing a lot of research that Craftsman products were also listed as Stanley, Black and Decker and DeWalt. Some parts look to be interchangeable. Thank you so much for taking your time to join the forum just to answer my question. I certainly appreciate your time and effort. Welcome to the forum Thanks. R

·
Registered
83 Posts

Try squarely securing the part in your drill press, drilling an oversize hole and press a bronze bushing in. They last longer and are replaceable, too. If you don't have the capability, have a machinist do it and quit fretting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts