Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a quick and easy turning project and they make great gifts for your woodworking friends. I by the cheap Harbor Freight awls when they are on sale for .99 ea. they have a crappy blue enameled paint job on them. The ferrule twists off easily and can be reused. Bust off the handle with a screw driver and hammer. Pick your new handle stock and drill a hole to match the diameter of the blade. I think I used a 3/16 one. Mount your wood on the lathe and turn a tenon to match the ferrule. Finish turning the style of handle and then remove it from the lathe. I finished mine with several coats of poly and then rubbed it out, glued on the ferrule and wah la. Mine has a rosewood handle on it.

Thanks for looking!
Corey

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I had to laugh when I read the package... "comfortable wood handle" as most of them have the worst paint job you ever saw on them. Some were even still sticky! But they are far from comfortable. Note if anyone picks these up at their local HF as with many other items they may say that they are internet priced... however if you have the item number and have them check it on the web they will usually give you the internet price.

Corey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.