Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning folks :)

Just a quick hello from me - Im a 33 year old recently moved into my first house with my partner. Its a ~100 year old house and there are a lot of cosmetic jobs (open up fireplaces, replace floors and skirting, patch up plaster work etc) so Im getting to try my hand at loads of different diy, which Im finding rather enjoyable. (Well apart from stripping paint, I hate stripping paint... and wallpaper...)

One thing I've learned about myself is that I like a job to finish looking neat, tidy and if at all possible professional (unless its paint stripping, god I hate paint stripping) and I find the precision in woodworking strangely attractive. Especially when combined with a bloody big router + table :)

Im planning on getting some advice on an appropriate router for a novice to start with and then working down a list of projects, hopefully whilst having a bit of fun at the same time!

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Pete.

Take your time to check out the various sections of the forum and don't be afraid to ask any questions.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,941 Posts
Hello Pete
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Hi Pete welcome to the forum :happy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome all :)

I have had the accursed man flu today so have been on the sofa looking at routers and cabinet making whatnots. Not a bad day all in all! I'll be sure to bombard the general routing forum with newbie questions soon. I think my other half is looking forwards to the day when my answer to every bit of work at home isn't 'well what about the angle grinder'

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pete.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the first thing you will need is a FEIN multmaster.
Ah the grinder is a bit of a joke between me and my other half. She seems to think that I use it far too frequently and with more relish than might be appropriate. Last weeks comment of 'Oh ace this hinge is too long now, I can angle grind that' met with a stern look and a swift retreat indoors!

In all seriousness the thing I'll buy first will be a router, and later down the line possibly my own circular saw so Im not constantly pinching Dads. First things to make would be table tops for both of them. After that its just practice practice practice :)

·
Premium Member
19,968 Posts
Nice you're here. I'm a Bosch 1617 fan myself. Paint stripping is everything you said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts