Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone who is compressor saavy look at Quincy Model #Q13160VQ and tell me if that will run air Sanders, operate spray guns , do all the things yo ud want.... I just have one piece of info ...i will only be operating one thing at a time...i won't have two Sanders going at same time or anytyjing like that.

If their is anything you find you don't like aboout this one please let me know. This is my biggest purchase yet and is like to make it a good one

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
That has 60 gal tank and only products 12.7 CFM,
Probably run everything but a air sander they take about 17 CFM, it will run but you will have stop and let catch up.
I think a air bsander in woodworking can of a waste,you really need a 5 hp that 2 stage
220 volt
Just buy a good ROS

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Air sanders are air hogs & require a lot of cfs just to run. If you are sanding autos for painting you need one otherwise follow Sticks advice & get a good random orbit sander. You don't really need the aggressiveness of the air sander for woodwork. I've got both air tools & electric tools and very, very seldom do I need the air tools (with the exception of spraying finish). I'm with Chuck. Take a look at : Woodworking Information at WOODWEB › Knowledge Base

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Tom if you plan on using air sanders and other equipment like this they eat up a lot of air like everyone points out. If you really think you need to use air equipment all the time then minimum would be a 5hp compressor and that needs to be a 2 stage unit but I would really recommend going with a 8-10 HP if you want to get any work done with air tools in a 1 or 2 man shop. If you aren't using sanders or other air hogs very much you might get by with a 5 HP single stage but will have to wait for it to catch up quite often. I do have several air powered sanders because I worked at a place that it was standard to use 80% air tools. I have a single stage 5HP compressor and very seldom use the sanders anymore.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Besides the air consumption issue with air sanders and die grinders, they both exhaust air while they are operating and that will scatter dust even worse than the electric ones do.

The main air tools in the shop are the brad nailer and pin nailers. Neither take much air. Framing nailers take a little more and with a small compressor you might have to stop and wait a few seconds here and there. Production painting can take a bit of air but a decent gun (don't get a bleeder type, they use air constantly) a DIYer can get by with a moderately small compressor. A 5hp unit shouldn't have any problems and a large holding tank of 40-60 gallons is a plus for that. Where the large holding tank works against your favor is when you have to fire the compressor up just to drive a half dozen brads.

Reactions: Ray Newman
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.