Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbey to the group

I have a Bosch RA1180 router table which I had my craftsman 1 HP hooked to it with only 2 screws which worked fine. My wife's uncle gave me a brand new craftsman router I am trying to hook up to it the router model is 315.175040 and I can't get any screws to line up with holes? I don't know if they sell a new plate to match up with my new router or not? (guess I am not too bright) As I have looked everywhere I can think of to find a solution to my dilemma. I am an old goat but try my best to find answers but not having any luck. I stumbled on this group so thought I would give you experts a try to see if you can help me. Or does bosch only make it to fit their routers?

Dennis Stahley
Myrtle Beach SC

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Dennis, welcome to the forum.

The Bosch info for your table says it fits "Most Craftsman 1/2"-Collet Routers", the router manual says it has a 1/4" collet.

Sometimes when I'm trying to find the matching holes it isn't easy even when I've had the same parts together before. I have the same Bosch table (different router than you) the plate doesn't look like the easiest to drill, maybe if you countersink the screw heads it would work. I don't think you can buy a plate ready to go, you could make a plate out of plastic or plywood.

What routing projects are you interested in doing? You might want a larger router anyway, one that has both 1/4" and 1/2" collets. Lots of woodworkers have more than one router.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dennis, welcome to the forum.

The Bosch info for your table says it fits "Most Craftsman 1/2"-Collet Routers", the router manual says it has a 1/4" collet.

Sometimes when I'm trying to find the matching holes it isn't easy even when I've had the same parts together before. I have the same Bosch table (different router than you) the plate doesn't look like the easiest to drill, maybe if you countersink the screw heads it would work. I don't think you can buy a plate ready to go, you could make a plate out of plastic or plywood.

What routing projects are you interested in doing? You might want a larger router anyway, one that has both 1/4" and 1/2" collets. Lots of woodworkers have more than one router.
Well, I have never tried routing but a few times, was not the most fun I have had to say the least. We make tables the largest one being 15 X 36 was thinking of trying to rout the edges on top for a different look. I was thinking about drilling and countersinking like you suggested, never thought about making a new plate. This will give me something to ponder. Thank's for the welcome read bunch of post, sure a lot of interesting posts to read.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've only been routing 3 years, in my opinion a router is one of the harder power wood tools to learn, a confusingly huge range of things it can do with different bits, attachments etc. Plus the danger factor, to you and the wood you are trying to shape.

Some new tools I barely glance at the owner's manual, for routing I not only read the manual I bought (and read! lol) a couple of books, by Fine Woodworking and American Woodworker. I wasn't a forum member at the time (I should have been), lots of very experienced people here will have info for you.

Yes when you are uncertain of what you are doing or you aren't getting the result you want routing isn't fun, but hang in there, practice with scrap/cheap wood, when you get the hang of it is fun and satisfying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've only been routing 3 years, in my opinion a router is one of the harder power wood tools to learn, a confusingly huge range of things it can do with different bits, attachments etc. Plus the danger factor, to you and the wood you are trying to shape.

Some new tools I barely glance at the owner's manual, for routing I not only read the manual I bought (and read! lol) a couple of books, by Fine Woodworking and American Woodworker. I wasn't a forum member at the time (I should have been), lots of very experienced people here will have info for you.

Yes when you are uncertain of what you are doing or you aren't getting the result you want routing isn't fun, but hang in there, practice with scrap/cheap wood, when you get the hang of it is fun and satisfying.
Thank's Bob I am going to learn if it kills me haha

·
Official Greeter
19,759 Posts
G'day Dennis, welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Give this site a try. ereplacementparts has all kinds of stuff available.
Desertrat Tom. My son works in IA at the police so we call him Ratboy haha I looked at the site you gave me a lot of things are discontinued/obsolete I bought the table used several years ago and must be older than I thought.
Dennis
G'day Dennis, welcome to the forum..
Thank's to yall downunder

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
How about taking the base off and putting it on to the table and centering it. Then once centered attach the base onto the table using two sided tape. Then drill through the existing holes on the table through the base plate and use those holes to attach the the base.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about taking the base off and putting it on to the table and centering it. Then once centered attach the base onto the table using two sided tape. Then drill through the existing holes on the table through the base plate and use those holes to attach the the base.
good idea I will give that a try

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That was what I was going to suggest. use your router base plate as a guide center it and drill new mounting holes in the table mounting plate. You can use a countersink and flat head mounting screws so the screws are flush in the mounting plate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum. That was what I was going to suggest. use your router base plate as a guide center it and drill new mounting holes in the table mounting plate. You can use a countersink and flat head mounting screws so the screws are flush in the mounting plate.
Thanks, thats what I did today worked great.
Countersinking won't be necessary if you drill from the top down into the base that is attached with two sided tape.
Yes I did counter sink them, works great thanks to all who had input for me. Great group.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.