Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked by a church group to build something like the tracks in the pix below. After shaping the plywood sides, I don't know if one would route a groove for the plywood track surface to slip into. I would assume one would use 1/8 in plywood for the track surface since that would flex a bit, but I don't know how to attach the two sides of each of the tracks and to make sure the tracks are strong. Anyone do something like this or know of some plans that I could adapt. Each track is supposed to be about eight feet long and about five inches wide. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That's similar in principle to the Cub Car tracks that the scouts race their cars on. Maybe they have some advice for you.

If you used 1 x lumber to make the shapes that the plywood has to conform to then brad mnails should hold them down. Grooves cut into the sides of the uprights would also work if you made templates to follow so that both sides would be identical. I wouldn't woorry too much about strength over a distance of only 5" and with so little weight put on the track. Those little cars only weigh ounces.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Ron, I don't think this is as difficult as it seems. Using double sided carpet tape fasten two 1" x 10" x 8' boards together. Layout your shape and cut it with a bandsaw or jig saw. Sand the edge smooth. Separate and cut a rabbit 3/8" deep by 1/2" wide mirror image on the two boards. This will leave you a 1/4" wide "retaining wall" with 1/2" wide support for the plywood. Cut your 1/8" ply to width and fasten down with contact adhesive. This gives you one lane. Use the other 1 x 10 pieces you cut off; flip them over and repeat the process to get the second lane. Repeat it all for the next two lanes.

Reactions: paduke

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. You make it sound simple enough. That's what happens when you over think a challenge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts