Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a humidor. I have not made one in some years (8+) but when I looked at some of the earlier ones, when I used raised panels the Rails and Stiles looked too wide. I use a miniature R&S and panel bits for small boxes - but still they look awkward.

I have formed the rails and stiles and made them only 1 inch wide.

Do you think they are too narrow?

The panel is flat now but I will be adding the raised profile but wanted opinions so.

The last picture shows a normal width rail from another project.

The box, rails and stiles are Sapele and te panel is African pearwood

Thanks ahead of time for your inputs!

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Greg

They look a bit to Hvy. for a box lid,, you can make them 1/2" to 5/8" wide to get the light look, just rip them down to size after you have use the router bits to make them..:)

===========

I am making a humidor. I have not made one in some years (8+) but when I looked at some of the earlier ones, when I used raised panels the Rails and Stiles looked too wide. I use a miniature R&S and panel bits for small boxes - but still they look awkward.

I have formed the rails and stiles and made them only 1 inch wide.

Do you think they are too narrow?

The panel is flat now but I will be adding the raised profile but wanted opinions so.

The last picture shows a normal width rail from another project.

The box, rails and stiles are Sapele and te panel is African pearwood

Thanks ahead of time for your inputs!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Junior Cove Raised Panel Set-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood
http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/3pc-CMT-Junior-Raised-Panel-Set/productinfo/800.522.11/

About 24" tall ▼ with 2" x 3" raised panels on the sides in Small frames.
Junior Grandfather Clock Plans-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

1 1/2" x 4 1/2" raised panels on the sides in very Small frames. ▼
Miniature Raised Panel Desk Top Acc.-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Miniature-Doll-Cradle-Plans/productinfo/PLAN2/

http://www.vanderburghhumidors.com/...t_style_raised_panel_handcrafted_humidor.html
========

I don't know. For a box that size, the 1" looks fairly proportional to me. It's purely a matter of personal taste, though. (No, don't lick the wood. ;) )

·
Official Greeter
19,728 Posts
"Do you think they are too narrow? "

I think you think they are too narrow, and therefore they are.

It is purely a personal choice of perspective.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made up my mind

I decided to give them a looksy since I already had them cut, figuring if I new ones from wider stock I would just cut the panel down to fit it.

I actually think this is the look I was going for.

The dry fit is pretty good tomorrow I will size the bottom and glue her up - then flush trim the DT and sand on Thursday.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tim,

It is actually dovetailed. They are hard to see I will have to post another picture. The contrast with Sapele will show better once the finish is applied. I use DT most often - in fact the next one will be with a lock miter just to practice with that bit a little more.

Greg

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Greg

That looks good ,nice and clean, I can't wait until you get a finish on it.. :)

========

I decided to give them a looksy since I already had them cut, figuring if I new ones from wider stock I would just cut the panel down to fit it.

I actually think this is the look I was going for.

The dry fit is pretty good tomorrow I will size the bottom and glue her up - then flush trim the DT and sand on Thursday.

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a very pretty box, Taxque. My first thought was the low contrast between the colors of the woods you've used compliments the proportions you've chosen. A high contrast combination would not be as handsome, IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.