Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in hope that the whole sideboard will be finished this month, I am giving you a taste of my experiments with cypress, and this what I managed to make by joining free-edge slices to make the doors of the cabinet. It proved a tremendous effort and time waste to try make this wood obey and not warp in all directions, but the result does not look too bad in my eyes. The slices were joined with biscuits, and the frame around them, with my traditional - by now - dowel technique.

In the picture you see it upside-down, as I start varnishing the base first.

Comments and questions welcome

Greetings to all

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
agreed..
looks good to my eyes too.....
I like it a lot... and I like cypress a lot too...
so when are you gonna graduate to splines.....

·
Premium Member
19,010 Posts
Really nice looking piece, especially considering the material. I agree with Stick about the splines. Very strong, and might help keep it from warping. You do some nice work with some not so nice materials. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Dimitri, what an idea, live edge panels. Never would have even conceived of that. It is quite rustic, and could be done with any wood.
Great idea, and good job.

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've always heard that cypress is difficult to work with too but you do a very good job of taming it.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Dimitri, what an idea, live edge panels. Never would have even conceived of that. It is quite rustic, and could be done with any wood.
Great idea, and good job.

Herb
I would not have thought about that either Herb.

Dimitri you did a great job and I love your doors with the live edge.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I like that you are prepared to do things your way and be different. The overall effect is very fine ; thanks for posting.

Rog

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Glad to see you posting, Dimitri. Haven't seen much from you lately.

Great job. I really like the live edge effect. I love non-traditional things and you have done a fantastic job of making it an interesting, visual pleasing piece.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your wood has a 6.7% shrinkage rate. You may want to redesign your drawer runners so that the front screw is fixed and the middle and rear screw locations of the runner are slotted to allow for panel movement. I assume you have not sanded yet. The planner mill marks are very obvious. I think the biscuits are a good choice in this circumstance since you can use them where they will not show and where curvy panel joints may be used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts