Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me see if I can explain this. I bought a cove raise panel bit a while back and when I use it I barely raise the bit and cut all four sides and then I raise the bit some more and cut all four sides and I continue this process until I get my desired depth. Is this the correct way to do it or do I set it at the desired depth of cut and then make a first pass on all four sides with the fence far enough out that only the end of the cutting tip is exposed, then move the fence to expose more of the cutting edge and do all four sides again and continue this process until all four sides are at the desired distance? The reason I am bringing this up is I bought my first raise panel bit with a back cutter and it looks to me that if you start out like I did with the cove bit above you will take the maximum bite with the back cutter. The next time you raise the bit it will be cutting nothing. Will this make the edge to thin to fit in the rails and styles?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I do apprecaite the feedback. Maybe I would do better removing the backcutter?

Charles M said:
Dave2,

Welcome to the group. With non-backcutter bits either method is okay. For bits with backcutters you are correct that with the BC in place you will remove the material that would be the tongue if you sneak up on the cut by raising the bit. Better to leave the bit at the final height and use the fence to limit the cut.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.