Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to routing and collecting bits ( I think of them as baseball cards for big kids) I would appreciate if someone in the know would give a primer on raised panels (including bit selection). Please use little words, and describe like you are explaining to someone who knows nothing about raised panels. (cause I don't) :confused:

Thanks
CB

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
CB, the simple version is you cut grooves in the rails and styles to accomodate a thin edge left on the panel. Think of it as a lengthwise dado in your frame, and a rabbit cut to fit into it on the panel. Some raised panels are plain and flat, others use different cut shapes for more decorative edges. A simple raised panel can be made by tilting your saw blade to 13 degrees, set your fence so it is 1/4" away from the blade, standing your panel on edge make a pass on each side. You will need a tall fence to support the panel while it is cut. This gives you a flat angled cut. If you spend a bit of time, you can adjust your blade height so it meets the edge of the panel. This will give you a small decorative lip around the center raised section. The really nice looking raised panels are cut with a panel raising bit. You can get a cove or roman ogee cutter to really spruce up your panel. Panel cutters are available in 2 styles, horizontal or vertical. When using a horizontal large diameter cutter for a larger panel you can have a bit up to 3 1/2" diameter which will require a 3+ HP router. The newer vertical panel raising bit to cut the same shape would have perhaps a 1 1/2" diameter, less HP required.(and a bunch cheaper!) Either way, dont try to make your entire depth of cut in one pass. You will be removing a lot of wood, so take it in layers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Viper1
The link to oldham-usa, was very helpfull in understanding how raised panel doors are made.
I bought a doormaker's bit set, from HarborFreight Tools. 1/2 inch c3 tipped. All three of the bits have a max. spped of 8000 rpm. I have the speed controller set as low as it will go and still not souind like the router is stopping.
I have an old panel door, and I am going to take it apart to see how it is made. Tell me how to do it and I'll quit, tell me and show me and I attempt it, show me an example and I'll be able to make a door.
What do I want to do after learning? Well, I would like to start out, by panelling one wall. Making the panels about 3 foot wide.
By the way, pine, which I used to make a sample panel, is not good, if the bit hits a knot or a place where there is a lot of pitch, watch out!
Bud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.