Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a complete holesaw set, works well enough for cutting holes, but the discs are usually a pain getting out. I don't need any holes cut just now, but could use a batch of discs. I've seen the rapid eject holesaws, never tried one, but don't want to buy one.

I'm wondering if there is some way to convert a standard holesaw so I can get the disc out quickly, and easily. I've been googling, and found zip.

The only two things I have been able to think of so far are:
1. Put a stiff spring and metal plate inside one, so the spring pushes the disc out, or at least far enough to pull it out.
2. Cut a few slots in the side of a holesaw, so I could at least stick in a small screwdriver or such in to pull down the disc.

Anyone got anything that works?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what brand of holesaw do you have...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
There are likely two or more holes on the back of the saw...use a punch to push out the "hole". If no holes, drill a couple...

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I have a complete holesaw set, works well enough for cutting holes, but the discs are usually a pain getting out. I don't need any holes cut just now, but could use a batch of discs. I've seen the rapid eject holesaws, never tried one, but don't want to buy one.

I'm wondering if there is some way to convert a standard holesaw so I can get the disc out quickly, and easily. I've been googling, and found zip.

The only two things I have been able to think of so far are:
1. Put a stiff spring and metal plate inside one, so the spring pushes the disc out, or at least far enough to pull it out.
2. Cut a few slots in the side of a holesaw, so I could at least stick in a small screwdriver or such in to pull down the disc.

Anyone got anything that works?
Theo, I have this set from Bosch.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-HSM23-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000WA596I

I like it as it is a snap-on /off arbor set. It has a spring that is removable in the center, that works so-so in removing the disc. after many uses the springs wear out so I unsnap the blade from the arbor and poke a larger punch in from the back to remove the disc.
I saw a video one time of a guy disinguage the arbor and reverse his drill while holding onto the holesaw and it ran the center disc right out. I haven't tried it but it worked for him.
The Bosch are all metric, close to common imperial sizes OK for my use. The set I have has a shoulder at the top of the saw blade that limits the depth. The master set I see now does not and looks to be a deeper cutting set.

In any event it will only cut as deep as the inside length of the blade.
The set comes ready to go with 1 arbor (2 different diam. pilots) and different length.

I just use mine in the drill press, a stout drill motor is required to use them free hand.
Hope this helps,
Herb

You have to realize that a spring takes up depth even when compressed.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
dry lube the inside of the saw and use the hole/slot configurations and an instrument to pry the plug out

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are likely two or more holes on the back of the saw...use a punch to push out the "hole". If no holes, drill a couple...
There are holes. They are workable, but also the reason I am asking.

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. But I'm not buying anything, even spray. However, you all did give me an idea that I think will work. If that doesn't work, I may spring for a disc cutter, that automatically ejects.

I'm thinking cut slots up the side of the hole saw, then cut at least two slots on the top edge, in a bit, and down at least half the height. Then make a two prong puller outer that will go in the top slots, pull down, and the bottom slots should make it pretty easy, and fast, to pull out. Only irritation is, have to stop the press each time to pull one out, but that's no biggie.

I'm not cheap, just broke.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If the plug is to be scrap, you can drive a couple of long,self drilling, self tapping screws (like a deck screw) through and as you tighten them, they will push the plug away from the inside top of the hole saw.

If the plug is to be saved, thread the 2 holes in the top of the hole saw, and use 2 machine screws to push the plug out as you tighten the screws.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts