Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am hoping to make raised panel doors for my kitchen. I am also not rich so using solid stock is not a viable option. I realized that I could use a veneered plywood flat panel to cut down on costs but my wife likes the look of the raised panel.

My question is this: can I use veneered plywood (e.g. maple veneer) for my rails and stiles but cut thin strips of solid stock and glue them to the inside edge of the plywood and then rout that thin solid stock strip? On the outside edges of the rails and stiles, I was thinking about using maple edge banding. For the panel, my panel cutting bit routs a 1.5" cove into the wood so I would cut thin strips (1.5") of solid stock and glue it to the edge of the veneered plywood panel and then rout the solid stock.

The bottom line is that I want to use veneered plywood for the rails, stiles, and panels and use solid stock ONLY where the wood will be routed.

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I have already bought some test samples from Totem (maple ply and solid stock maple) and will be doing some test cuts. With regards to FordPrefect's advice, I never knew I could approach a floorer about buy stock from them but I will look into that option today and see what I can find. Any suggestions for floorers to talk to in Edmonton?

Thanks again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.