Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the course of mixing and experimenting with conductive paints for use in my copper plating and electroforming projects (copper plated wood), I mixed copper in with the graphite and ModPodge I was using, in an effort to up the conductivity of the paint. Once I'd coated the item, I sanded it, lightly, with 600 grit sand paper and noticed the dark, black, flat paint was transforming to a shiny, copper finish, like one you'd get after adding patina to bare copper.

On a whim, I painted a wood piece without using either primer or sealer and took it over to the buffer. In seconds, I had what looked exactly like a patinaed copper piece.

The posted pictures and steps for doing this at:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Realistic-Metalic-Copper-Plating-Paint/

Attachments

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
That is a very cool technique, Kelly and I'm glad you posted it. I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: RJT501Win

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree. However, I already had the materials for copper plating. To make conductive paint. Discovering it would buff into this was a happy accident. And it's still far cheaper than buying commercial products that attempt to imitate copper plating. They start at about $150.00 a gallon. Of course, you can buy smaller quantities, but the price goes up.

Tanks a lot Kelly!

Nice , but expensive finish.

Regards
Gérard

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is one I tried today using just the copper powder and ModPodge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The copper paint used to prevent algae and barnacle growth on boats might work well for this and be easier to buy rather than make. Just a suggestion.

Charley

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
One of the reasons that it's more difficult to find the fine ground metals (at retail) is that they're ideal for making Thermite. Don't ask me how I know this...
Thermite: 4 Steps
Ah, thermite. Amazing stuff. We always had a thermite grenade next to our howitzers in case we got overrun and had to abandon our guns. Pull the pin, drop one down the barrel and no one was ever going to use that gun again. I'm happy to say we never needed one. There was also a big flat thermite device that sat on top of our crypto file cabinets. One pull of the pin and the entire cabinet would be melted ash in a matter of seconds.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And thermite is the reason you don't sand and grind a lot of aluminum and metal on the same belt.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As to copper paints, as mentioned, they run into the area of $150.00 a gallon and the price per ounce goes way up as your containers get smaller. Pretty expensive experiments. Copper powder isn't horribly expensive. I bought a pound for about $16.45 and a large bottle of ModPodge was about seven. That makes a LOT of product.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts